Planner Board Tension Planner Board Tension Planner Board Tension Planner Board Tension

Question Planner Board Tension

I posted this on the discussion section below this section with no response so i will try this area.
    Does anyone know the amount of pull or a formula to figure the actully pounds of pulled on planner boards. I realize it depends on the size of the board so lets use a 36" board for this question. Thanks for any replies.
    Lloyd

I doubt there is a calculation, but you could put some sort of a scale in line at the anchor point, then tie the planer board line tothe scale. The pounds of pull would show up on the scale..

Out of curiosity what is the reason on needing the pounds of pull? Trying to make a mast?

Thank you Double D and Fish Killer 16.
    Double D yes i could do that thanks for the thought.
    Fish Killer No i not making a mast this is the plan.
    Last year me and my military buddy started using planner boards. We built two sets made out of composite board 24" long. We attached our planner reels near the back of the hard top. (Like most as we seen)We had a problem with the trolling line bothering us when we were attaching our clipps on the line. A charter captain suggested for us to move the line towards the front of the boat. So we attached an eye bolt off of the railling run along the hard about three quarters up towards the front, that elimated that problem. But we wasn't sure this railing could handle alot of pull on it. This year we are planning on installing an 8inches high 3/8" diameter eyebolt through our hard top and just wanted to know the actual amount of pull (in LBS) so we make the proper anchoring support for this project. We also made some 36 inch boards to use in rougher water condition and we dont believe the railling can handle the pull with a larger board.
    Again any more thoughts let me know.
    Lloyd
    Last edited by Walleye Seeker; 03-28-2011 at 08:15 PM.

If you want to chat on this subject give me a call. i would need so more info prior to giving you my opinion. 614.327.7144. thks

Ihave a way to solve any worries we run a 24' grady w/hard top, we have the reels at the back of the hard top. we run 35" dual boards with a hard angle cut on the front so they pull harder to stay tighter in turns. we put a 1/4 inch stainless eyebolt in at the furthest point forward on the frame of the hard top then attached a medium weight 3" long spring to the eye boly then attached a smaller big jon style pully to the spring and they run great. It may be a little trial and error on which spring to use. Good luck if you have any questions you can call me at 716-796-5372 thanks Jim

Thanks Jim
    I really like the spring and pulley concept. I believe we will install that concept on our boat. We hope to be out on the lake at the end of April. Give us a call on the radio our handle is 4 the 4 of us. Normally we are on channel 69. I will also keep your number in case we have any further questions. Thanks Again Jim
    Lloyd
    Last edited by Walleye Seeker; 03-28-2011 at 08:21 PM.

Lloyd im actually from the buffalo ny area we will be on put in bay from 4/30- 5/8 handle is fishkiller on 68 or call my cell. The springs work out well they take up alot of the shock of the waves. and on the eastern basin we get some really rough water and they run great.
    Last edited by fishkiller16; 03-28-2011 at 09:27 PM.