Weekend Walleye Trip Weekend Walleye Trip Weekend Walleye Trip Weekend Walleye Trip
    W A L L E Y E 1 Guest

Default Weekend Walleye Trip

Hey All,
    I am new to this site, but let me start by saying awesome group. Would like to get more involved. I live in Marion OH, just got a boat this year. Will be leaving out of West Harbor this weekend for a trip on the lake. I used to just take head boats but now I want to be my own captain and learn the tricks. I am not much of a jig fisherman so I guess the reefs are pretty much out right? My question is for a drift fisherman like me who usually fishes the summer bite, where should I start off drifting for eyes at for the spring bite? I'll probably just cast harnesses and bottom bouncers until I can afford a trolling setup. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I will give a post result of my trip to members after this weekend. Thanks, W A L L E Y E 1

fbcoachfisherman Guest

I would still try the jig bite. The way they say it is going, even for guys like me it is supposedly easy. I'll let you know. Got a few last weekend, but not like some guys. If you choose to drift I would do the bouncers just off the reefs in deeper water. Guys are beginning to take some fish on worm harnesses trolling, so why not drifting. You may want to cast with some flipping harnesses with crawlers as many fish this time of year feed up high.

W A L L E Y E 1 Guest

Thanks for the info, would north of niagra reef be a good place to start coming out of west harbor or should I try around bass islands or kelleys?

fbcoachfisherman Guest

Yes, but my biggest concern is why not jig? If you are going to Niagra you are right there. The worm bite is not on yet, they still want the jig and minnow right now. Not saying it won't work, because eventually it will go. You will see pleny of folks on Niagra this weekend and my guess is that nets will be going in the water. If I was doing what you are doing, then fish the deeper water not far from any reef. So, it doesn't just have to be Niagra.

W A L L E Y E 1 Guest

Thanks for all the help. I appreciate the advice and keep it coming if you have any more. I will update everyone on my trip on monday. Good Luck to all and I hope I net one!

Default Walleye

As long as the wind is coming from land you should still be okay since the fish close in. There are also areas which are protected between Port Clinton and Wild Wings.

You may be interested in some photos of guests that we just had at our condo, they had great luck last weekend. You can follow the link if you would like to see a couple of nice eyes.

We rent our condo at Green Cove resort near wild wings. We charge $90.00 per night which includes a 30 foot boat dock right in front of the condo. I was up over the weekend and there were several staying in Green Cove Condos and launching at Wild Wings. Some small boats renting units and going out since it is such a short run this time of year.

You can find info on our rental and photos

http://www.domegos.com/1324/Default.aspx

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Good Luck,

John