2011 Limits 2011 Limits 2011 Limits 2011 Limits
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011 Limits

Default 2011 Limits

As of Monday March 1, 2011, it was reported that two of the board members of the LECBA (Lake Erie Charter Boat Association) met with the Ohio Division of Wildlife. After the meeting, the LECBA reported that they are confident that there will be no limit changes in 2011. This is unofficial but it sounds like good news to me.

I will be attending the LECBA's Captain's Conference this Saturday and will report back any changes or news that I hear.

FYI, you do not have to be a captain to join this organization. Anyone can join as an associate for $35 per year. This organization not only supports the captains but also works on causes that directly affect Lake Erie, i.e, the Asian Carp problem, algae blooms, Toledo's fish killing power plants, the impact of windmills in Lake Erie, etc.... Why not support an organization that has our best interests at heart? (Note: I don't work for nor am I paid by the LECBA. I just strongly support them and believe in their cause.) Their website is www.lecba.org if you are interested.

I believe they should drop the 6 fish limit down to 4 I'm from Buffalo New York and I'm an avid fisherman (and soon to be charter captain) on our end of the lake and wish they would drop our limit to 3 or 4 fish we are at 5 per day. Also we as fisherman as a whole take way too many fish out of the lake every year to sustain this fishery. I fish the Port Clinton area off south bass island the first week of may every year its sickining to see how many fish that are brought off the lake to the fish cleaning area where we stay. I also think the ODNR needs to crack down on these guys that take double and triple limits a day.

Quote Originally Posted by fishkiller16 View Post
    I believe they should drop the 6 fish limit down to 4 I'm from Buffalo New York and I'm an avid fisherman (and soon to be charter captain) on our end of the lake and wish they would drop our limit to 3 or 4 fish we are at 5 per day. Also we as fisherman as a whole take way too many fish out of the lake every year to sustain this fishery. I fish the Port Clinton area off south bass island the first week of may every year its sickining to see how many fish that are brought off the lake to the fish cleaning area where we stay. I also think the ODNR needs to crack down on these guys that take double and triple limits a day.
    They don't care, have reported several people for this, and they say it doesn't hurt. I have seen the fishery go down in the last 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by fishkiller16 View Post
    You could be right on the desire to lower the limit, are definately right about those who make 3 or 4 trips in one day taking a limit or more each trip, they hopefuly will be caught and get a huge fine. I am not posting here to be critical of your thoughts on this matter, as we both want the same thing, more walleyes to catch. But there must be another factor at play here much larger than possible over fishing, because after the 2003 hatch became old enough to spawn there were aprox. 30,000,000 (30 million) breeding fish available to carry on the population. There has not been a hatch since 2003 that has been much above average if even that good. My question is why? It certainly was not due to the lack of adult spawning fish for the next several years. With 30 million fish playing whoopee out there one would think that something else is at play here instead of over fishing. These are just my thoughts on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishing Dude View Post
    They don't care, have reported several people for this, and they say it doesn't hurt. I have seen the fishery go down in the last 20 years.
    Tell that to those who get caught double and triple tripping out of Turtle Creek and Wild Wings each spring just to name 2 of the areas/marina's they watch each spring. The Wardens that I have had contact with take their job very seriously, most often asking if I/WE have observed any possible violations of bag limits, and that is as it should be. If in the future you observe over bagging violations and a Warden makes that statement about it does'nt hurt then by all means turn in that Warden at the TIP hotline, get his name and/or badge number if possible, car or boat number anything that can be used to identify the Warden in question, as well as the place, date and time of day reported to him/her and file a formal complaint. Those are our fish he/she is talking about and it needs to be stopped.

Default Odnr

Personally, I feel that ODNR does a pretty good job managing the Lake Erie fishery. I have to believe that they appropriately study the various species and apply scientific formulas for deciding regulations. As a new fisherman to the Ohio side of Lake Erie, seeing ODNR at the boat ramps from Fenwick to Huron was amazing. I think they do a pretty good job considering the resources and budget that they have to work with. Whatever ODNR sets catch limits at, I think we need to trust that they know the fishery better than anybody. Beyond abiding by the law, fisherman can choose their own limits based on individual values, and respect that those values vary from person to person.

Quote Originally Posted by peleebound View Post
    Personally, I feel that ODNR does a pretty good job managing the Lake Erie fishery. I have to believe that they appropriately study the various species and apply scientific formulas for deciding regulations. As a new fisherman to the Ohio side of Lake Erie, seeing ODNR at the boat ramps from Fenwick to Huron was amazing. I think they do a pretty good job considering the resources and budget that they have to work with. Whatever ODNR sets catch limits at, I think we need to trust that they know the fishery better than anybody. Beyond abiding by the law, fisherman can choose their own limits based on individual values, and respect that those values vary from person to person.

To agree with you I also believe the ODNR does one heck of a job with the resources they have to work with especially the enforcement of laws and the management of the fishery, not to mention our four legged and winged wildlife they also manage with some Wardens pulling double and triple duty. Most people forget that their jobs are multi functional. On top of that they all seem to be very dedicated to their work.

Smile The X Factor

In my humble opinion. Every time you go in a restuarant and see Canadian Walleye on the menu? Where in Canada do ya think it came from??? LAKE ERIE via a gill net. I watch the gill netters and you want sickening. Get ready to PUK!

The way I understand it. The ODNR for the most part blames the low hatch rates on the winds and currents.. They have an area they call the hatchery. If the baby walleye get blown out away from that area they will die.. It is neat to watch a lectur by the ODNR on hatch rates. They show a good hatch about every 10 years or so and two moderate hatches in the middle.. We are definatly due..

Default More Info

Here is a little more information about how much our ODNR cares about our walleye population and what they are doing to find out more in the mystery of walleye hatch vs. fry survial.

http://www.fondriest.com/news/lake-e...leye-hatch.htm