Is there a PM walleye bite in April? Is there a PM walleye bite in April? Is there a PM walleye bite in April? Is there a PM walleye bite in April?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is there a PM walleye bite in April?

I was wondering is there a PM walleye bite in April? We should arrive April 7 Around 5:30-6:00 PM on thur, if weather permits. Just wondering if bite is stiill on then.
    Thanks alot for any info fellas

Post Thanks / Like

Default Evening Bite

Never done it. The morning bite is soo good. And they bite all day. Never had to fish at night in April. Sorry

Post Thanks / Like

The femails move onto the reefs after dark. I have talked to some guys who have done really good late at night. However I have only trolled at night around vermillion, not jig fished the reefs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Night time walleye

Fishing late at night can be cause for problems, along with risk also come reward. Use large suspending jerk baits, on top or reefs for huge females!! just remember catch and relaese giant females for the sake of our fisheries eat the males!!!!
    Fast Action Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Default Keep what you want!!

If it is legal for you to keep the fish that you catch be it a male or a female and you want to keep it by all means do so!! A female walleye is just as much a female walleye in July as it is in April or in November.

For those of you that want to change or challenge the Regulations for spring spawning season or tell others what gender fish they should keep or release here are some numbers for you to think about!

After the 2003 year class of walleyes became old enough to contribute to the spawning population of adult walleyes, there were approximatley 30 million adult walleyes available to spawn, now if only 1/3 of those were females that would be 10 million female walleyes available to spawn. If each female walleye only layed 150,000 eggs that would be 1,500,000,000,000 eggs layed and with a hatch rate of only 1% that would be 15,000,000,000 larval walleyes hatched and at a survival rate of only 1% living to their first year that would mean that there would be a minimun of 150 million 3 to 6 inch walleyes left to keep the population stable. So what happened to all the little walleyes? So how does changing the regulations or releasing a legally caught female walleye change for the better or increase the survival of the little eyes that are hatched. Please explain!
    I left the numbers of females and the amount of eggs that each female would lay on the conservative side. If the population was evenly split between boys and girls there would be an additional 75 million little eyes left at the end of the first year. Here are some more numbers to contemplate!

Walleye produce 20 to 25,000 eggs per pound. 3-10 year olds producing 53,000-426,000 eggs. Ohio Seagrant often states that 250,000 eggs as the average.
    10-50 percent of the eggs hatch.
    25-50 percent of the hatching fry survive.
    10 percent of the hatch live to be three year olds.
    If 30 percent hatch and 25 percent live it would take 640 females to produce 12 million fry. OR 3,000 to produce the 56 million.
    A more conservative estimate of 10 percent hatch and 10 percent of the hatch living to three years old requires 5,000 females for 12 million and 23,000 for 56 million.
    (By TOMB)

The problem is not, and has not been the lack of adult spawing walleyes but the problem is and has been the survival rate of the larval walleyes and fry into their second year.
    Last edited by wakina; 03-06-2011 at 03:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

whats the point to keep the real big ones anyways they taste like poop

Post Thanks / Like

Default Big Ones

We throw the big ones back, but I live in Toledo and it only takes us 20 minutes to go fishing. The locals here only want the 18-22 inch eyes for dinner

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LmitingOut View Post
    whats the point to keep the real big ones anyways they taste like poop

Everyone should keep what ever they like as long as it is legal! Just because someone does not believe in keeping a fish of one gender or the other, one size or another for whatever their personal reasons or feelings may be, does not mean that everyone should have to follow what that persons personal preferences are! Lets quit clouding the issue with all sorts of reasons why it is wrong to keep the larger legal fish. Fact is if a person wants to follow their personal conservation principles that are more restrictive than what the state game law allows then by all means they should follow those princples, and no one should condemn them for it, but just like everything else in life they should not try to force those principles on anyone else. The same should apply to those who chose to keep their legal limit of walleyes no matter what gender they are, it is their legal right to do so, and they should be able to do so without others telling them it is wrong. The people that hurt the population the most are those who have no principles at all as far as game laws are concerned, the ones who make two, three or four trips in one day taking several bag limits of fish or those who exchange(throw back) a smaller dead walleye from their limit(cooler) to make room for a larger freshly caught one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    Everyone should keep what ever they like as long as it is legal! Just because someone does not believe in keeping a fish of one gender or the other, one size or another for whatever their personal reasons or feelings may be, does not mean that everyone should have to follow what that persons personal preferences are! Lets quit clouding the issue with all sorts of reasons why it is wrong to keep the larger legal fish. Fact is if a person wants to follow their personal conservation principles that are more restrictive than what the state game law allows then by all means they should follow those princples, and no one should condemn them for it, but just like everything else in life they should not try to force those principles on anyone else. The same should apply to those who chose to keep their legal limit of walleyes no matter what gender they are, it is their legal right to do so, and they should be able to do so without others telling them it is wrong. The people that hurt the population the most are those who have no principles at all as far as game laws are concerned, the ones who make two, three or four trips in one day taking several bag limits of fish or those who exchange(throw back) a smaller dead walleye from their limit(cooler) to make room for a larger freshly caught one.
    these are our opinions, nobody is telling anybody what to do, if your keeping fish your keeping them to eat, to me i rather eat a 3-4 pounder instead of a
    6+

do you have the stats on mercury poisning this year??

hopefully the hatch is good this year cause it hasnt been good for a while

if you want mercury poisning go for it dude

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LmitingOut View Post
    these are our opinions, nobody is telling anybody what to do, if your keeping fish your keeping them to eat, to me i rather eat a 3-4 pounder instead of a
    6+

do you have the stats on mercury poisning this year??

hopefully the hatch is good this year cause it hasnt been good for a while

if you want mercury poisning go for it dude
    I agree that we need a good hatch this year but as it turned out last years was not that bad, as it was near avg. so maybe the stars will align for us this year and there will be a good hatch.

I don't remember ever saying nor writing about what size fish that I keep personally. I think that you have failed to read my post completely and that you have just assumed that I eat those large walleyes. You know absolutley nothing about what I may or may not be keeping. I have never advocated keeping or releasing those larger fish, but I did advocate keeping them or releasing them as an individuals personal preference/choice.
    If you can point out where I have said/wrote that I kept/consumed those larger walleyes I would be most greatful to you. Why didn't you post the warning about the Mercury poisioning in your original post? The one that got under your skin when I replied and stirred this whole thing up. Instead you stated that they tasted like poop. The fact is that you asked a question in the first half of your post and that does not make it an opinion, it makes it a question, the 2nd half of your post was an opinion/statement, and the whole thing was in a one sentence post. I tried to get the point accross that you should do what you want to do and every one else should do what they want to do as long as it is legal. So Dude I answered the half of your sentence that was the question portion but did not comment on the opinion/statement portion of you post because I do not know what poop tastes like, so I am taking you at your word that you know what you are talking about as it would pertain to the taste of poop.