Trow in a couple of Smallmouth Trow in a couple of Smallmouth Trow in a couple of Smallmouth Trow in a couple of Smallmouth

Default Trow in a couple of Smallmouth

Hi Folks:
    We're making the annual pilgrimage to Oak Harbor in mid April this year for the jig bite. Man, I look forward to this trip. I feel confident in our walleye skills, but this year we might like to target a smallie or two. We always "luck" into a couple while we are jigging for eyes. But, does any one have advice on how to actually target the smallmouth near the reef complex in mid April. Any help would be appreciated.
    Loui
    P.S. I owe the large part of my success in fishing lake Erie to you folks on this board. Thanks again for all of you help over the years.

Smile Smallmouth

The situation is this as I see it. The smallmouth move onto thier beds when the water temperarture reaches 50 degrees. The walleyes are pretty much done spawning then. Most folks that are targeting smallmouths head over to the island complex. There are quite a few good places over there. Most fellas focus on 20' humps and work tubes or go with soft craws with a carolina rig. Hitting those water temps in mid april is a challenge. Mid April historically is 45-47 degrees. Almost, but not just right.

Good Luck and Good Fishing

Thanks for that information. I read on some charter web sites that in the spring they can target two limits. (different species) I suppose that would be perch. Thanks.
    Loui

Default Not necessarily

It is still spring when the water hits 50. usually last week of april first week of may. they do double down on walleye and smallmouth. Perch is ice out in shallow water and you can limit on walleye also but a very sensitive approach. similiar to ice fishing. slow and methodical