April walleye fishing? April walleye fishing? April walleye fishing? April walleye fishing?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default April walleye fishing?

Hi everyone, new to this forum. We have a charter set up to fish April 8 and 9 of this year. We have never fished Lake Erie before and have a few questions.

What can we expect as far as temperatures during the day? Is early April a good time to catch walleye? What kind of lake conditions can we expect?

Any suggestions as to next time as far as the best times to set up a charter and where ?

thanks to all and look forward to reading this forum as spring approaches

thanks Jeff

Ok guys I am gonna try and answer him in general. I know their is some exceptions to the rule.. here we go.. The fishing will be great that weekend weather permitting you can expect 30 to 55 degrees. You will only be less than a mile ofshore and will most likely jigging. You can expect a quick limit. the fish will average between 15 and 22 inches and be mostly males. Most of the captains once you limit out take you back in. The day sometimes can be over in about an hour.. Check with your capt. Well for me the best time to fish is every day.. lol. mid april to mid may for bottom boucing.. mid may to mid july for casting. mid april to mid july and oct to nov for trolling. Perching mid aug to end of oct. but i can limit out of perch most days. smallmouths good early spring and late fall. I did my best answering on my little phone.

Default be prepared

Should be great fishing. I will add just one point to skipper9's post. I don't care what the air temperature is, it will be cold on the water. the water temp will be low 40's. Any wind and it get's down right frigid out there. Come prepared almost as you were ice fishing and especially have some gloves. You can always take a layer off if your too warm, but once you get chilled out there it can be miserable. Enjoy your trip!!

Wink Its simple

#1 Wear your Rocky boots. no sneakers or boat shoes. It's what ever the water temp is. Wear a turtle neck. Take it off if I am wrong. Be prepared to get wet. If I am wrong then you win again. You will catch your limit. Spring fishing ain't for urban cowboys. Its the reel deal.

Good Luck and Good Fishing

Quote Originally Posted by jiginitis69 View Post
    #1 Wear your Rocky boots. no sneakers or boat shoes. It's what ever the water temp is. Wear a turtle neck. Take it off if I am wrong. Be prepared to get wet. If I am wrong then you win again. You will catch your limit. Spring fishing ain't for urban cowboys. Its the reel deal.

Good Luck and Good Fishing
    Wear somyhing warm on your feet, but you can leave those hard black soled shoes/boots on the dock......on my boat anyway, other than that the fishing should be great. Who ya fishing with ?

P.S. sorry jig but my buddies tend to mark the h##%LL out of my boat with some of those boots
    Last edited by Go-Time; 01-19-2011 at 06:22 PM.

Smile No Problem

I understand. I can wear em and not leave a mark but I have sea legs. LOL

Default thanks

I appreciate the responses posted, yeah knew it would be cold. Didn't know that we should be prepared to get wet. My son chartered with Sweet Escapes. I believe he just went looking through the internet and picked one.
    Really looking forward the experience.

Hope to be able to do additional 'walk on' charters as the season progresses.

Quote Originally Posted by jcweis1 View Post
    I appreciate the responses posted, yeah knew it would be cold. Didn't know that we should be prepared to get wet. My son chartered with Sweet Escapes. I believe he just went looking through the internet and picked one.
    Really looking forward the experience.

Hope to be able to do additional 'walk on' charters as the season progresses.
    I know capt. Todd real well, he will do a great job for you, nice boat and great fisherman !!
    Last edited by Go-Time; 01-21-2011 at 06:05 AM.

I run with Capt. Todd and went to Capt school with him as well. He is a great Capt. and will work hard for you.