~Sheep Head~ Good Recipes? ~Sheep Head~ Good Recipes? ~Sheep Head~ Good Recipes? ~Sheep Head~ Good Recipes?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    waterdog Guest

Default ~Sheep Head~ Good Recipes?

OK this post may get a lot of grief......but serously... anyone have a good way to eat these fish?

I have heard two ways to do it; 1.) Smoked or 2.) Cut in strips, boiled and diped in shimp sauce.

I have caught a lot of sheep head this year!

Post Thanks / Like

My wifes uncle swears that its the best fish he has ever had. He always says to cut the fillets high on the back, batter, and deep fry like any other fish. Never actually tried it myself. If you do let me know.

Post Thanks / Like

My friend told me about the strip of meat high on the back, then boil and eat with cocktail sauce, I have never tried it, my friend calls it poor mans lobster. I think some one should try it and lets us know.

Post Thanks / Like

Default sheephead recipies

Actually they are quite good, that is from experience...the problem is that sheepshead do not freeze well at all. They must be eaten fresh. The meat high on the back is the prime meat, cook it anyway you would normally just do it right away. people try to keep them for a period of time and that is where the problem lies.

Airshot

Post Thanks / Like

Default sheephead

Skin the fish and nail it to a board made from fruit wood, apple works well, season the fish with salt pepper and lemon, place in the oven at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. Remove the fish from the board, throw away the fish and eat the board.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I can't wait to see some of the recipes for sheephead.

Post Thanks / Like

penalty box, the way you catch the 'eyes, there is no reason for you to entertain such thoughts!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sheephead

Sheephead MUST be put on ice the minute you get them, no NOT even in a live well. And like the other guys said only the prime top part. Medium to smaller size is best. you will be suprised how good they are.

Post Thanks / Like

Just for the heck of it about three weeks ago we were perch fishing and cought some sheep, white bass, and white perch, as you alwayse do perchin. We kept all three and smoked them when we got back to camp. We didnt brine them or anything, straight smoke flaver. Byfar the sheep head was the best tasting out of the three. I think soaking the sheep in salt brine over night it would be even better.

Post Thanks / Like

Default gotta admit ...

Dad and I tried sheephead years ago. The boil-n-butter method. It tasted fine. I'm not inclined to keep them because we have enough walleye and perch put away. But for a lark, yeah, they work. Plenty of them out there and they're not in high demand for table fare, so be generous in trimming them thoroughly. The immediate icing (and probably bleeding them, too) are both good ideas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default get the net- baahhhhhaaaaaa

glad to know others are thinking of tring the sheep. They got to be desent-maybe. Going to try, thay are fun to catch ONCE in a while- but damn. The hearding I've done this year has been record. 3 fish ohios, maybe they should put nets out for them...Somthin-Fishy