Casting Casting Casting Casting
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Casting

Default Casting

A lot of people on here troll but I am one who likes to feel the fish take the bait and then set the hook. The casting bite has been very poor over the past couple of weeks. The water is finally clearing up and I was able to get a few fish this weekend. Friday night and Saturday was when I fished and caught 10 walleye, a bunch of sheephead and white perch. At the gravel pit and 2 miles southeast.

I would like to hear how other people who are casting are doing.

waterdog Guest

Default ~casting

I too like to fish by casting. I have been using worm harnessess all colors with limited success with the walleye. I did see some may flies in the water Monday May 31st. I caught 1 walleye on a bottom bouncer and alot of sheep head, white bass, white perch AND one Huge Catfish. I was fishing by "H" can in 18 fow.

I also drift and cast exclusively, to me it's the most sporting way to fish. I finally found the walleyes today on Buckeye Reef. I caught and released at least 15 walleyes and kept my limit of 6. The sheepsheads were a pain but fun none the least to catch. At least 3 sheepers to every 1 walleye. Also caught a couple of huge catfish. Super fun day and I will be back at the same spot tomorrow morning!

Russ

Had a great weekend. found'em just inside of round reef 13 fow splash count on gold weapons.

fishing first Guest

weekend was terrible for casting on west side 2 fish all wknd. We were all over . In close alot of undesirables out in 20-24 ft fish were spread out. Found out at the dock Sun we need to go north to the banana dike from 14-to 20 ft limits all week from 3 different boats we talked too. But I think that were at the mercy of nature now the mayfies have started hatching and it usually slows down quality of fishing for us. good luck casters

Thanks Guys - Never heard of Buckeye reef or the Banana dike. I fish Ohio waters west of the islands.

Default Casting

We did fair casting near D Can. 2 guys, 9 on Sat, 7 on Sun and only 2 keepers on Mon. Fish were up high on Sun. fished aout 4 hours each day. There were tons of nice marks and quite a few boats NW of us.

http://www.vacationrentals411.com/vacation/23785.html

rdsoltis Guest

Default mayo

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Hunsaker View Post
    I also drift and cast exclusively, to me it's the most sporting way to fish. I finally found the walleyes today on Buckeye Reef. I caught and released at least 15 walleyes and kept my limit of 6. The sheepsheads were a pain but fun none the least to catch. At least 3 sheepers to every 1 walleye. Also caught a couple of huge catfish. Super fun day and I will be back at the same spot tomorrow morning!

Russ
    those would go good with some mayo big man way to go chips

Default Best casting methods??

I would like to cast for walleyes? What are the best setups? I have only tried it once. I got lucky with split shot and a worm harness bringing in four fish on four cast a couple years ago. I mostly perch fish. Any suggestions?

In short - There are many methods. Current trend is a mayfly rig that is a short version of a crawler harness. Cast out perpendiculair to the drift direction and then allow it to sink to the desired depth and begin your retrieve. Each day will be different but continue to adjust depth and retreival speed until you find them. Weight forwards are an old and true walleye catching lure. Fish them similar to above