Advice fishing western basin in April Advice fishing western basin in April Advice fishing western basin in April Advice fishing western basin in April
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Advice fishing western basin in April

Making a trip for early walleye this spring and I am looking for any help or advice on the best or most productive program and locations for catching April walleye in the western basin, any help would be appreciated and I thank you in advance

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Lake conditions

Lake conditions prior to your arrival will control where you should focus your efforts. i.e. if we get hard noreasters for a few days it will take 2-3 days for the water to clean up. You can fish from Maumee bay to the reef complex and have excellent results. Your tactics also control your selection. If ya want to jig only then you can fish the whole shoreline from the bay and beyond the reef complex. If your looking to jig and catch hogs your best bet is to focus on the reef complex area where you have a shorter run to deeper water and post spawn females. The reef complex area generally has cleaner water than the bay but not always. Keep in mind that there is no need to run all the way to the reefs to jig. Directly in front of Wild Wings is great jigging area. Get to 13 FOW and just go with the flow. Shorter drifts on productive fish will provide the quickest limit. Make sure you bring a wind sock to control your drift speed. I also recommend different weight jigs so you can maintain a consistent ability to feel bottom when working the jig. Less Line and less stretch will increase your feel for the bite and ability to set the hook. As far as colors---get em all. Start a collection.

Good Luck and Good Fishing