Rod lengths - Advise needed Rod lengths - Advise needed Rod lengths - Advise needed Rod lengths - Advise needed
    Blog Entries

Default Rod lengths - Advise needed

Any advise is better than none.....Looking at setting up new rods for next year on planner's/jets & dipseys, I realized after measuring that some rods have been repaired in past leaving most slightly different. (bought a turn key boat) Any advise on sizes? I always ran a shorter rod for dipseys, was this wrong? My past jet rods varied from 7'9""-8'6" (all were a 8'6" rod before they were shortened) [email protected] - Thanks guys
    Happy Holidays to ALL....

to all a merry xmas and a happy new year hope everybody gets new fishing stuff for xmas im fishing out of frezzer walleye perch and budlight for lunch

Quote Originally Posted by rsfrail View Post
    Any advise is better than none.....Looking at setting up new rods for next year on planner's/jets & dipseys, I realized after measuring that some rods have been repaired in past leaving most slightly different. (bought a turn key boat) Any advise on sizes? I always ran a shorter rod for dipseys, was this wrong? My past jet rods varied from 7'9""-8'6" (all were a 8'6" rod before they were shortened) [email protected] - Thanks guys
    Happy Holidays to ALL....
    RFSRAIL,

You need to concider the size of boat also when deciding. I bought all my trolling rods too long. When we reeled in the fish the net couldent reach the fish.
    As far as the length I beleve its a personal prefrance.

Gettin Jiggy
    Cant wait to get out the jigs!!!

Default Rod length & boat size

Rod length and boat sizes are very important. I do a lot of trolling, spoons, and crawler harnesses with snap weights. I bought all 9 foot poles, so when I reel in to the snap weight I have to lay the pole across the boat to reach the snap weight, because my boat isn't wide enough to back up and reach the snap. This really irritates me, all because I didn't do my homework, and listened to everyone else. I could have gotten away with 7 1/2 footers which would have been about perfect.

Blog Entries

thanks guys, it seems like alot of personal prefernces. I had 8'6" on jets and 9'6" on 4 dipseys on a 24' Thompson, what a tangled mess - and its really hard to store them with 6 casting rods aboard. They are all for sale- guys keep ears open. I'm going to 6 or 7 rods next year, and short 5'10' HD'S for dipseys. Last year was like sword fighting on the rear of the boat! Getting ready to jig, cant wait - Ron
    Last edited by rsfrail; 12-31-2009 at 09:39 AM.