How to release perch without killing them? How to release perch without killing them? How to release perch without killing them? How to release perch without killing them?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How to release perch without killing them?

This might be a dumb question, but I have alot of trouble with perch swallowing the hook and find it difficult to keep the smaller ones alive for release. Do you guys cut the barb off? I am sure someone will have a good tip for me.

Perch time....yum yum

You either cut your losses and throw them back or keep some short ones. I don't think anyone will hold it against you either way. It is just a part of fishing. If the stomach is embolized, you can poke the end of it and hope for the best. If you tear stomach or gills out, they will die.

Blog Entries

Default Walleye love them

think positive, if you do throw back a few injured fish your feeding a hungry walleye, !

Thumbs up

try useing circle or octupus hooks, they generally catch the fish in the side of the mouth and very seldom do the fish swallow the hook.

walleyewacker Guest

When we catch those smaller ones that are hooked deep, I keep them. When we get to the limit and are catching bigger ones, I throw the smaller ones back. The gulls eat them. They are dead either way.

I use the bigger size hooks, I think size 2, and use larger minnows.
    If I'm only catching perch less than 9 inches, I'm moving or not fishing long.

By the way, I have been told by a park ranger who was checking licenses on a river, if you throw back a fish and it dies, it counts toward your limit. I'm no lawyer but I would be carefull. Hope the seagulls will devour any evidence.

When you catch them deep and their bladder is out, can you put them in the livewell for a few minutes then let them go to survive?

best,
    Rickerd

Blog Entries

Default Small perch for bait ?

Can you use small perch for bait ?

Default hook size

I have always used Mustad snelled hooks. Sizes from the smaller #30 up to the #26's. They swallow the 30's pretty easy though. As for the release of the fish. I deeper perch waters the fish have the air sack come up into the mouth. The only way I have heard to give the small perch a chance is to pop a small hole in the air sack and that lets the fish go back down relatively unhurt. The hole would heal shut in time. I have never tried this method yet to see if it makes a difference or not. The small perch as most of us see will flop around on the surface and pull in a few gulls for lunch of perch.
    A small percentage will shoot right back down unhurt. Thats why I like the # 26 Mustads. They usually get the mouth and not that deep. These hooks are a fine wire and very sharp. Cost is low so they are a good one to stock up on.
    Like $ 1.69 a pack of 6. The deeper water you fish in the more you will see the air sacks come up and they will spit out minnows at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by MBLMIKE View Post
    Can you use small perch for bait ?
    Yes- but not legally.

Labshavit Guest

If I know they are going to guy I just keep and throw an occational one to the gulls