How to release perch without killing them? How to release perch without killing them? How to release perch without killing them? How to release perch without killing them?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I am one of those guys who just can't release a dead perch just to keep a bigger one. I am sure I don't catch as many pounds as some, but I don't waste them either.
    I suppose when they limit us Western basin fisherman to only 25 perch they should expect some sorting dead or not. It is kind of hard to drive 130 miles one way for 25 small fish. I do like the thought of feeding the walleye though I guess that is a positive spin.
    Hey, at least they stopped the commercial netters from taking our fish!
    Thanks again for the replies, I enjoy reading the different view points.

Post Thanks / Like

Default small perch

We keep them if they are dead; throw them back if they're live and just lip-hooked. When we're done if we have some small live ones in the well and we're catching bigger fish, we toss back the smaller live ones and catch a few more big ones. Overall, we get our limit and quit. We don't put any dead small ones back. Heck, they taste just as good! Just need to grab a few more off the plate, that's all.

I agree with some of the posters that it's tough to not sort when you're limited to 25 fish. We just try to do what's best for the resource. I believe most fishermen out here are good souls and have the best for the resource future in mind always.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default fry small ones hole

There is a short video on you tube shows how to clean a perch in less than a min or maybe even 30 seconds if your good , he took an average size perch made a couple of slices to dorsal fin and removed the head , skin , scales and entrals out in one easy step , in his hand was a nice ready to cook fish however it was with the bone in , but after cooked the bone will come out complete , gona try this with the smaller fish next time we go .

ps fry small ones whole ! not hole ! (what can I say, victom of public school system!)
    Last edited by MBLMIKE; 09-02-2009 at 12:19 PM. Reason: mrs spelled wurds

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MBLMIKE View Post
    There is a short video on you tube shows how to clean a perch in less than a min or maybe even 30 seconds if your good , he took an average size perch made a couple of slices to dorsal fin and removed the head , skin , scales and entrals out in one easy step , in his hand was a nice ready to cook fish however it was with the bone in , but after cooked the bone will come out complete , gona try this with the smaller fish next time we go .

ps fry small ones whole ! not hole ! (what can I say, victom of public school system!)
    I posted that link back in April and tried this method with little sucuss. Let us know how you do.