Where to go 8/15 - 8/17 Where to go 8/15 - 8/17 Where to go 8/15 - 8/17 Where to go 8/15 - 8/17
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Where to go 8/15 - 8/17

I know it's hard to say 10 days ahead of time but I'm planning a trip up the weekend of 8/15. Would like to fish for eyes and maybe do some perch jerkin. Would I be best going out of Turtle Creek or Port Clinton/Catawba area?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Catawba Area. Pretty big school of walleye

Hey Reeltime, I would suggest the Catawba Area. Pretty big school of walleye around green and rattlesnake islands right now. My brother and I got our 12 walleye drifting friday and saturday in 3-4 hours. We were approximaely a mile southwest of Rattlesnake Island.
    My brother was also a first mate on a charter boat on sunday (8/2) and they caught their 18 trolling in under 2 hours about 1-2 miles northwest of green island.
    Additionally, we one night after walleye fishing we set anchor at 7:45 PM at the Catawba Green Light and had our limit of 50 perch before sundown. They weren't great size though. Sounds like the bigger perch are out near A and B cans.
    I will be out fishing thursday-sunday of this weekend so I will post any reports from those days

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Well

Well I would keep watching this site for info. People are catching eyes around the west end. Also the Perch Jerking pretty good and there getting bigger.
    Of course in fishing this can change as you know.
    FredsterL

Post Thanks / Like

It is my intentions to fish 8/10-8/13 in the area around the Islands and west to the reefs. I will post a reply back later next week to let you know how it went with locations fished and programs. I have my boat docked on the two-saint river. I would also like to say hello as I am a new member to this site, and have fished the Western Basin of Lake Erie since 1955.

Post Thanks / Like

Default wakina wow

1955 must have been a different lake what was lake erie like back then and what did you fish for was the walleye fishing any good i started 30 years ago but thats when the walleye were taking off ive had a fun 30 years and welcome to the site

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    It is my intentions to fish 8/10-8/13 in the area around the Islands and west to the reefs. I will post a reply back later next week to let you know how it went with locations fished and programs. I have my boat docked on the two-saint river. I would also like to say hello as I am a new member to this site, and have fished the Western Basin of Lake Erie since 1955.
    Welcome to the site. Look forward to reading your post next wee.

Post Thanks / Like

In 1955 the Lake was every bit as clear as it is today maybe even clearer, you could see the bottom on Niagra reef on calm sunny days with little effort. East harbor was a maze of channels and if you got out of the channel you were done, stuck in the muck. Walleye's could be caught all summer long off of Mouse Island as well as the reef complex. Perch fishing was something to behold on the back side of Kelley's Island with as many Jumbo perch as you could catch or care to clean in a day. There were no limits and several times the old Coke cooler would be full with walleyes with more covering the deck. If you would see more than a boat or two in the area around Niagra it was considered crowded. The mayfly hatches were much stronger and more plentiful than today also. These are just a few of the lake conditions back then.

Post Thanks / Like

Default nice

I love to hear about the lake back then i have a buddy who's dad and Grandad were commercial fisherman and he has pictures of them stacking up the sturgeon on beaches and burning them they were considered a nuisance wish i could catch a couple now that was a shame ever catch anything that was different back then

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default 1955 lake conditions

Thanks for the history would like to hear more sometime glad your here to share this

Post Thanks / Like

Tuesday 08/11
    fished west of Green for perch, very slow moved to C-Can on the firing range and took the rest of a two man limit in about 2 hrs. Started to troll ENE and took one 18 inch walleye on a stinger spoon in yellow jacket pattern with a 6 inch worm harness tied to the split ring (spoon harness) 90 backi on a jet 20, had several pull backs but no more eyes. Got ran off of the lake by bad thunder storms that moved in about 2:20 pm. Lots of marks in that area.

Wed. 08/12
    took a 2man limit of perch in about 3 hrs. with 8.5" avg. Started Trolling with spoon harness's tipped with night crawlers in the same area and took a two man limit of walleye's with a 22" avg speed was 1.7 to 2.1 gps speed. the hot colors were yellow jacket and shirmp patterns in stinger scoripion spoons. I tie these myself. Caught upwards of 20 + walleyes with alot of 10" to 16" throw backs. The waves were 2 to 4's at the start of the day and layed down to less than 1 ft. by 7;00 pm when we caught our last keeper eye. there are a ton of marks in this area and casters were doing a good job of catching their share also. The fish were stacked in this area and we caught fish 90 to 100 back with jet 30's on one side of the boat and 60 to 70 back on the other side. Caught fish straight back off of the corners and out 50 to 60 on the inline boards. Large fish was 28" smallest kept was 18" very few junk fish trolling but caught alot of s.h. perching.GPS Numbers are- N 41.44.264 - W 82.53.794 good for both perch and walleyes.

Thur. 08/13
    Didn't fish to beat up from wed morning.

Good Luck
    WAKINA