July 19 steelhead report July 19 steelhead report July 19 steelhead report July 19 steelhead report
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default July 19 steelhead report

I decided to make a run toward Wheatley at the last minute yesterday. I got one son off to scout camp at 1pm and my youngest son wanted to try his luck at steelhead. We made the run and started fishing at 5:30 pm. We set up in 52 fow and trolled East. We picked a few eyes, sheep and white perch along the way untill we 62 fow then all hell broke loose.

It was about 7:15 and the first steel tripped the rigger. It hit and ran like a big king. It ran out 400 ft of line and jumped and did full flips in the air. I had to slow the boat to under 1mph to land it. Just before I net it, another steel grabbed another rigger line. I scooped the first, a Mammoth 35 incher that must have gone 18lbs, grabbed the other line and fought another steel that jumped at least 10 times. Got it in and just bumped the throttle and another line went off. This one we didin't land. Our last hour of Fishing was like this. We went 3 for 6 with 3 nice eyes too. Great day on the water.

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool report. Sounds like a great time. Your new name should be STEELTANG!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up eyes

Quote Originally Posted by spoontang View Post
    I decided to make a run toward Wheatley at the last minute yesterday. I got one son off to scout camp at 1pm and my youngest son wanted to try his luck at steelhead. We made the run and started fishing at 5:30 pm. We set up in 52 fow and trolled East. We picked a few eyes, sheep and white perch along the way untill we 62 fow then all hell broke loose.

It was about 7:15 and the first steel tripped the rigger. It hit and ran like a big king. It ran out 400 ft of line and jumped and did full flips in the air. I had to slow the boat to under 1mph to land it. Just before I net it, another steel grabbed another rigger line. I scooped the first, a Mammoth 35 incher that must have gone 18lbs, grabbed the other line and fought another steel that jumped at least 10 times. Got it in and just bumped the throttle and another line went off. This one we didin't land. Our last hour of Fishing was like this. We went 3 for 6 with 3 nice eyes too. Great day on the water.
    have the fish move eastward yet i have a friend that know a captain in ashchbula that said they arent getting eyes yet said they havnt moved yet

Post Thanks / Like

Many areas East have been producing. Huron was hot as was Cleveland crid area. I have also heard good Lorain reports.