Mon July 13 Mon July 13 Mon July 13 Mon July 13
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mon July 13

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mon July 13

Fished Mon 7-13 out of Fenwick. Reports were fish were in 16' of water a few miles out. We did best in 19-20'. Caught 17 most were 15-18". We really couldn't pattern the fish. We trolled between 2.1 & 3 with worm harnesses & spoons behind jets & reef runners. We caught more of the fish on reef runners, but all baits and speeds caught fish. The lake was flat most of the day. It started to roll around 7 pm & we picked up a few fish quickly, but had to leave. It wasn't a great day, but there was enough action to keep the kids happy. We trolled east and west from Besse to about 4.5 miles west. I'm guessing the larger fish are moving east. This is my first year trolling on the lake. Does anyone have any suggestions for locations and ramps to follow the fish east ? I'm bringing the kids back up Sun & Mon and am thinking about trying further east. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Post Thanks / Like

For the last 5 or 6 years that I can remember, there are some fish that move in toward shore just after the mayfly hatch is over. In my area, they stage up off the Moose just West of the Portage river in Port Clinton. They are only there for a week or so then they leave. They are mostly young fish, 13-17 inches. Perhaps they are on the move for more mayflies??? We can only guess.

I too have had recent success with crankbaits, specifically the 25 depth reef runner.

Fish move East and also North. 2 seperate schools. The area near the Turn around bouy will hold fish until they move back in September or so. I havn't spent much time fishing East, but the same is true there.

Trolling this time of year can be fast. 2-2.6 works well and I have caught fish up to 4 mph. Stay current on the reports and follow the fish.
    Last edited by spoontang; 07-15-2009 at 08:20 PM.

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Launch Ramps

Portage River Access just west about 3/4 mile from the Port Clinton drawbridge and Catawba State Park off the west side of Catawba Island for fishing Bass Islands west, Mazurik Access on the north side of Marblehead just before Lakeside for fishing Bass Islands east and Kelleys Island area. Look them up on the Ohio Division of Watercraft website.

West Basin

Post Thanks / Like

Spoontang,
    Do you mean just West of the Mouth of the Portage river? Or where is the Moose? What water depths or type of bottom do you look for? I will be up there this weekend and will hope to get out and give a report. I'd be happy to help on the radio also channel 68.

Rickerd

Post Thanks / Like

Spoontag when you say the 25 depth reef runner are you refering to the reef runner 800 series or the reef runner "little ripper" 600 series? I hear alot of guys talking about trolling these and would love to know the which bait and what colors are best. Also do you just troll them flat line or behind jets?

Post Thanks / Like

The 800 series has been my most consistant lure this year in the purple glow pattern. I have never run behind a jet, but did have copper line on one earlier. My last trip I did great running it on mono behind a walleye board.

The area I am speaking of is about 2 miles West of the Portage river. The Moose is the first large building you would see on the lake side of the road. If there are still fish in there, you will see headboats etc. right there. If they aren't there, just run North to find them. The depth is just 13-16 fow.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking on basspro.com and can't find the purple glow pattern. They call 62 a purple ghost...is that it?

Post Thanks / Like

I can't honestly say what the actual name is. I purchased 2 from Fisheman's Wharf in Port Clinton. They have a sticker on them that state they glow. They look very much like the purple ghost. I'm going to do some searching.

Just looked it up. Reef runner #62 puple ghost glow belly. #60 and 63 also glow.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by spoontang View Post
    I can't honestly say what the actual name is. I purchased 2 from Fisheman's Wharf in Port Clinton. They have a sticker on them that state they glow. They look very much like the purple ghost. I'm going to do some searching.

Just looked it up. Reef runner #62 puple ghost glow belly. #60 and 63 also glow.
    Thank you so much for all your help. Very nice to talk to someone that gives good info. Sometime I'd like to pick your brain on planer boards. I'm trying to rig my boat and want to do it right. Just bought a 15 h.p. kicker yesterday. Maybe you can offer advice. Here is a link to a post I made but have no replies yet.
    http://www.walleye.com/community/showthread.php?t=1811

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ReelTime View Post
    I'm looking on basspro.com and can't find the purple glow pattern. They call 62 a purple ghost...is that it?
    That should be it. You can check with technical support to verfify it glows, but that is it.