planner board help planner board help planner board help planner board help

Default planner board help

i have 2 yellow off shore planner boards. i need to know if i can use jet divers behind them or not and if not i would use crankbaits. how much line would need to be out behind the boat to get the depth i need, exaple 30 foot of water and i would like to troll in at 25 foot of water. thanks.

CAT22 Guest

Yes, you can run jets behind boards. U may have to watch if you are using 40's because that amount of pull might stall the board. If you go to straightlineanglers.com or search "dipsy diver depth chart" you will see a depth chart for dipsys and jet divers. It will tell you how much line for depth, but doesnt take speed in to consideration. I keep a laminated copy in my boat. Good resource.

Jfish Guest

From what I understand about side planers (off shore boards) crankbaits are the way to go.

When you buy crankbaits look at the depth capabilities. You can also add snap weights to the line.

There is a really thick book that I own that tells the depths of a lot of them but I can't think of what it's called.

I've been told that you can use jet divers on those boards but not the big ones. You won't want to use crank baits on the jets either.

Hope this helps.

p.s. I have a Big Jon Planer mast and big boards that I'm thinking of getting rid of. Let me know if you might be interested.

TRAPPER Guest

You must upgrade to the snapper release clips on the boards first or you will be chasing boards all over the lake. You can pull jets behind the boards. I myself pull the 40's. It will take some getting used to the feel of a fish with a #40 behind it. The best way i like to fish with boards is with a crawler harness and just drift along with the 2 outside boards way out and 2 lines straight out the back. Those boards act like bobbers when you do this.