6-20 @ Night 6-20 @ Night 6-20 @ Night 6-20 @ Night

Thread: 6-20 @ Night

MoonDog Guest

Default 6-20 @ Night

Well, First off I am a new member here, but plan on being a contributing member to this community! I work away from home most of the time so I don't get to get out as often as most. (or as often as i'd like) I usually monitor 68 on the radio, and I am the captain of the Reel Loving. That being said:

Me and a buddy are heading out of Cooley Canal tonight for an evening bite. (weather permitting, seems to be pretty windy, but maybe a good drift) Anyone been out at night looking for Walleye or how'd you do this morning? Just wondering if i even have to make the run to West Sister, or stay in close. I'm setup to drift or troll, so..... Last walleye I've gotten this year was right between little cedar point and the water intake a few weeks ago. (23 incher on a spreader and light tackle! Talk about fun!) I will post our results here tonight also...

MD
    Last edited by MoonDog; 06-20-2009 at 02:07 PM.

MoonDog Guest

SKUNKED SKUNKED SKUNKED

Begining to be a natural occurance.... And i used to do great on the lake...

Tried trolling, drifting, casting, bottom bouncers, inlines, dipseys, jets, spoons, harnesses, mayfly rigs, nuggets, erie dearies, and NOTHING. Listend to guys on the radio catchin in 17 FOW, but i couldnt snag a weed if my life depended on it. Apparently I suck at this big time! Walleye capital and I cant get ONE... I should just go buy some and end the heartache and money I'm throwin down the drain to feed the family. Begining to hate Walleye. As you can probably tell, I'm pretty bummed to say the least!

MD AKA No Fish AKA No Help

Where were you fishing Moondog. Be as precise as you can. Things have been a little tough but should be improving. Give as many specifics as you can to what you tried. I, and others will do as much as we can to help you catch eyes. My first few years were a little anorexic but I stuck with it and do OK now.

Default MoonDog AKA No Fish

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDog View Post
    SKUNKED SKUNKED SKUNKED

Begining to be a natural occurance.... And i used to do great on the lake...

Tried trolling, drifting, casting, bottom bouncers, inlines, dipseys, jets, spoons, harnesses, mayfly rigs, nuggets, erie dearies, and NOTHING. Listend to guys on the radio catchin in 17 FOW, but i couldnt snag a weed if my life depended on it. Apparently I suck at this big time! Walleye capital and I cant get ONE... I should just go buy some and end the heartache and money I'm throwin down the drain to feed the family. Begining to hate Walleye. As you can probably tell, I'm pretty bummed to say the least!

MD AKA No Fish AKA No Help

My best luck is with harnesses (see pictrues under the "June 20th" post). A Lot of guys use spoons (spoontang is the expert this area) but I havn't had luck with them but I think I know what my problem is. Try harnesses with a in line weight (1 1/2 oz) and troll it about 1-1.6mph. For spoons you can use divers, dipseys, downriggers or weights to get them down (you'll hear/read of diffrent people doing diffrent things); the main idea it to get them down to fish level. For spoons I think you have to go faster say 1.8-2.3 to get the right action. I think this has been my problem with spoons (going too slow). If these don't work get back and we will see what we can do. John
    Last edited by True Blue; 06-21-2009 at 09:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
    My best luck is with harnesses (see pictrues under the "June 20th" post). A Lot of guys use spoons (spoontang is the expert this area) but I havn't had luck with them but I think I know what my problem is. Try harnesses with a in line weight (1 1/2 oz) and troll it about 1-1.6mph. For spoons you can use divers, dipseys, downriggers or weights to get them down (you'll hear/read of diffrent people doing diffrent things); the main idea it to get them down to fish level. For spoons I think you have to go faster say 1.8-2.3 to get the right action. I think this has been my problem with spoons (going too slow). If these don't work get back and we will see what we can do. John
    Thanks for the compliment.

The rule of thumb is to look in the water and have the spoon right beside the boat to see the action. It should swoop back and forth and not wobble, roll or drop lifelessly. Some of the same applies to cranks. They all have an action of differant sorts. Without speed, they won't reach the desired depth and action. Near 2 mph is needed to achieve this in most circumstances. The exception is prespawn and alot of pros use extra weight to get the lure down

I would say worm harnesses ideal is 1 mph give or take. Again look at the blade right beside the boat. You just want it turning and that is all you need.

Spoons- scorpion size 1.6-2.4 mph
    stinger size 1.8- 3.0
    magnum size 1.8-3.5

I have found the smaller spoons start to roll at lower speeds and they all roll near 3.5 unless you get high speed specific spoons such as Flutter Chucks by Eppinger that can handle more speed.

Trolling is almost always best with the wind. The theory behind this is the fish feed into wind and surface current.

Location Location Location Location

You have to be over fish to catch them.