fishing walleye run from boat fishing walleye run from boat fishing walleye run from boat fishing walleye run from boat
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    papaNwes Guest

Default fishing walleye run from boat

I am rather new to fishing the spring run on the river. I have a small boat (18ft) that I would like to fish from. Is fishing up stream like in the river off Perrysburg in the deeper water any good? Are the launches busy? Thanks for any help from seasoned anglers.

Water Fox Guest

Default Maumee Run

you will probably be downstream from New Orleans park.With a boat that big better off going to the mouth or bay.

ERIE REBEL1 Guest

If you fish the river NOW when the river is high you will have no problem with an eighteen ftr.The fish will be in the current breaks,I could tell you more as for locations but it took me a number of years to learn these spots when I ran my boat in the river so all I am going to tell you that a fish is not any different than you or I,If I don't have to move against a lot resistance then I am not going to.Good luck and go get them.

whateverswims Guest

Default Cullin park

Fish the mouth of the river. It is allot less work and less dangerous than anchoring in this high river level. Good idea to check river flow before going upstream and tossing anchor.(Advanced Hydrological Prediction Service on NOAA gives best river levels). I have read a few studies that suggest only 10% of lake erie walleyes actually reproduce in the rivers anyway--the rest offshore.

Best bet if you do not want to battle waves--put in at Cullin park off of summit street. It can be pretty shallow but my 20ft always made it. I plan on dunking the 24 foot at cullin if the pier is in this weekend. It is right at the mouth of the Maumee. Fish stage up in the bay area. You will see lots of boats out soon. This bay area is close enouph in shore that even with strong NE, you have a decent chance at making it out.

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

I grew up in Perrysburg, fished the spring runs, and have personally seen boats get swamped, sink, & otherwise get in trouble. Every year somebody drowns.

Rule #1 is SAFETY.

An 18 foot boat is not too big to fish the Maumee spawn, it's acutally better in that it's safer because of it's size. Dependiing on your boat's design, draft, and engine, you can access traditionally good fishing spots upstream of the Perrysburg / Maumee bridge, out in front of Ft. Megis, during normal to a little above normal flow. Past there it gets shallower & faster current, and only a local with river topograpy knowledge would take an 18 foot boat past Ft. Megis. There are gravel bars in various places around the bridge & beyond. In any case, procede slowly, read the river, and play it safe.

Launch at Perrysburg's Maple Street access, about 3/4 mile downstream from the bridge. Lots of parking & room to lanch your boat, and you'll start in deeper, slower water. Work your way upriver until you get across from the Perrysburg Boat club (road comes down to the river & a parking area). A hundred yards or so farther and the gravel bars start. There is one right out in the middle, a little closer to the island on the right. Work your way upriver, slowly from there, and watch the river current for signs of gravel beds. The entire area out in front of Perrysburg's Orleans Park, to the bridge, is gravel & rock bottom. There are also some good spots around the upriver end of the island (Ewing Island, a park) on the west side. Find the deeper "hole's" in this area, and fish them. Typical depths (normal flow) past the boat club are between a few inches over the higher gravel beds to 4-5 feet in the holes & channels. Closer to the bridge you get, the shallower it gets.

The biggest factor here is water level. If the river is high, near flood stage or more, DO NOT GO ANY FARTHER THAN ORLEANS PARK. If you do, you're asking for trouble due to current. There are plenty of places from Orleans Park to the island to fish, and even a bit downriver where the gravel bars start. I have talked with locals who have some of their best days fishing this area, but you have to know how to fish it (as always).

The biggest mistake fisherman in boats make is when anchoring (other than the usual stupidity of overloading, not wearing a PFD, & going places they shouldn't in dangerous conditions). I've seen guys come up in small boats in fast current, drop an anchor with a short line from the bow, and within a few seconds of the anchor catching the boat is swamped, pulled down by the current force. BE SMART. Have all your safety gear & wear a PFD. Balance the boat well before anchoring & have plenty of anchor line, and have a quick method to cut or release the anchor if neccessary. NEVER anchor in real fast current. Make sure your buddy works with you to keep the boat well balanced, and know what each other is doing.

If you take your time. play it smart, and try different spots & methods (inquire at local bait shops in Maumee & the parking areas to get current fishing tips), you can be successful.

One more thing. The fishing regulations are strictly inforced. On any given day you have a pretty good chance of being observed by law enforcement, so think twice about keeping that snagged fish.

Good luck!

West

Wink Excellent Advise

My only addition is use cinder blocks (something disposable) for anchors (standard Navy anchors get snagged) and never use reverse to pull the anchor out. Watched a boat get swamped on the reverse trick. We used to throw 3 cinder blocks all on seperate anchor lines

Closer to the east shoreline is deeper from Orleans Park to Ft Meigs. Stay left of 2nd column when heading to bridge and under (going upstream)

& the DNR WILL BE WATCHING

stage01 Guest

Just want to clarify something here?? In the river you should never anchor at the stearn right, because of current? The post below says they sank by dropping anchor at the bow?

Quote Originally Posted by West Basin View Post
    I grew up in Perrysburg, fished the spring runs, and have personally seen boats get swamped, sink, & otherwise get in trouble. Every year somebody drowns.

Rule #1 is SAFETY.

An 18 foot boat is not too big to fish the Maumee spawn, it's acutally better in that it's safer because of it's size. Dependiing on your boat's design, draft, and engine, you can access traditionally good fishing spots upstream of the Perrysburg / Maumee bridge, out in front of Ft. Megis, during normal to a little above normal flow. Past there it gets shallower & faster current, and only a local with river topograpy knowledge would take an 18 foot boat past Ft. Megis. There are gravel bars in various places around the bridge & beyond. In any case, procede slowly, read the river, and play it safe.

Launch at Perrysburg's Maple Street access, about 3/4 mile downstream from the bridge. Lots of parking & room to lanch your boat, and you'll start in deeper, slower water. Work your way upriver until you get across from the Perrysburg Boat club (road comes down to the river & a parking area). A hundred yards or so farther and the gravel bars start. There is one right out in the middle, a little closer to the island on the right. Work your way upriver, slowly from there, and watch the river current for signs of gravel beds. The entire area out in front of Perrysburg's Orleans Park, to the bridge, is gravel & rock bottom. There are also some good spots around the upriver end of the island (Ewing Island, a park) on the west side. Find the deeper "hole's" in this area, and fish them. Typical depths (normal flow) past the boat club are between a few inches over the higher gravel beds to 4-5 feet in the holes & channels. Closer to the bridge you get, the shallower it gets.

The biggest factor here is water level. If the river is high, near flood stage or more, DO NOT GO ANY FARTHER THAN ORLEANS PARK. If you do, you're asking for trouble due to current. There are plenty of places from Orleans Park to the island to fish, and even a bit downriver where the gravel bars start. I have talked with locals who have some of their best days fishing this area, but you have to know how to fish it (as always).

The biggest mistake fisherman in boats make is when anchoring (other than the usual stupidity of overloading, not wearing a PFD, & going places they shouldn't in dangerous conditions). I've seen guys come up in small boats in fast current, drop an anchor with a short line from the bow, and within a few seconds of the anchor catching the boat is swamped, pulled down by the current force. BE SMART. Have all your safety gear & wear a PFD. Balance the boat well before anchoring & have plenty of anchor line, and have a quick method to cut or release the anchor if neccessary. NEVER anchor in real fast current. Make sure your buddy works with you to keep the boat well balanced, and know what each other is doing.

If you take your time. play it smart, and try different spots & methods (inquire at local bait shops in Maumee & the parking areas to get current fishing tips), you can be successful.

One more thing. The fishing regulations are strictly inforced. On any given day you have a pretty good chance of being observed by law enforcement, so think twice about keeping that snagged fish.

Good luck!

West

Quote Originally Posted by stage01 View Post
    Just want to clarify something here?? In the river you should never anchor at the stearn right, because of current? The post below says they sank by dropping anchor at the bow?

You always want to anchor from the bow in the river current . I think what he was getting at , was to short of anchor line made the bow go under water when the anchor grabbed. You want to have alot longer anchor line when anchoring in the river with that current.

Default maumee river larger boat

to the man wanting to run 18 ft. boat in river, no problem, I run a 16 ft. with
    long shaft all the time in river, even in the summer, also run my 22 ft. center consol during spring run, best spot high water, back arm off white street,
    off the tip of sewer pipe off orleans, off main island back arm across from orleans, also the area around the ohio turnpike bridge, towards rossford is excellent spot sand quite water, in six to fifteen foot range, large area to
    fish, very few people around, you can troll, jig whole area, very few snags,
    all deep water, good walleye, excellent whitebass, good smallmouth, and good
    catfish, roughly two miles from maple street launch towards rossford.

stage01 Guest

Wayne, in your opinion...how would the area between Rossford and the Turnpike Bridge be for Walleye between March 30 and April 15? I'm looking for walleye action without worrying about dangerous river currents, conditions, depths etc...

Tks!

Quote Originally Posted by wayne johnson View Post
    to the man wanting to run 18 ft. boat in river, no problem, I run a 16 ft. with
    long shaft all the time in river, even in the summer, also run my 22 ft. center consol during spring run, best spot high water, back arm off white street,
    off the tip of sewer pipe off orleans, off main island back arm across from orleans, also the area around the ohio turnpike bridge, towards rossford is excellent spot sand quite water, in six to fifteen foot range, large area to
    fish, very few people around, you can troll, jig whole area, very few snags,
    all deep water, good walleye, excellent whitebass, good smallmouth, and good
    catfish, roughly two miles from maple street launch towards rossford.