new to lake erie new to lake erie new to lake erie new to lake erie
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    dan d Guest

Default new to lake erie

myself and my fishing partner are comming to lake erie from grand rapids MI, this weekend. this will be our first time ever on lake erie and first time ever walleye fishng, thinking of going out of Ohio, any help on where to launch, where to fish, what to bring, and we are also in need of some advice on where to stay for a night or two. Just looking to try and put some eater size walleye in the boat, have spent the last 15 years fishing bass tourneys, now want to start fishing for food and fun.

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Ohio Lake Erie walleye trip

Dan d,

First, if you have room for one more, I'd love to go out with you and "show you the ropes." I've got nearly 20 years experience on the Lake, so I can help you out.

What size is your boat? That will deternime a lot of where you can safely go and where you'll launch.

Lodging - It's the main fishing season along the Lake, so on weekends the nearby hotels are packed with fisherem and the summer rates are in effect. If you have the funds, stay in Port Clinton as that's the center of activity (many motels/hotels there). If you want to stay closer to probable launch ramps and want a cheaper stay, try east Toledo along Route 2 (Oregon, Ohio). Everything from flea-bag motels to nice hotels.

Travel - You'll be going down Route 2 to get to the launch ramps. Once you get to Toledo, you can either take 280 east off Route 75 to Route 2, but Route 2 takes you through east Toledo (Oregon) for the first 10-15 miles and you may get lost. You can find lodging along there. If you take the Turnpike (Route 80/90) off 75 get off at exit 91, Fremont / Port Clinton / Lake Erie Islands and go norh to route 2. Then head straight into Port Clinton or get on Route 2 going east and get off at the next exit (Port Clinton) about two miles.

As far as gear, bring a light jacket and waterproof windbreaker as the mornings can be chilly. 7am you are fishing in the jacket, 1pm you are in a t-shirt. Windbreaker is for water spray when motoring about or a little rain.

Tackle - I'm not one that gets technical on fishing poles and gear, but a medium to light fishing action pole with a spinning or casting reel (baitcasting reels are rarely used on Lake Erie, except for trolling) is fine. Walleye are usually light biters, so bring a pole with good sensitvity to detect light bites. 6 - 10 lb test line (I use either 6 or 8 lb). Most of the time you'll be slowly reeling in, or if the wind is right you may not be reeling much at all when drift fishing. If you have trolling equipment, bring it, but as a Bass fisherman I doubt you have it. Lures - bring worm harnesses and weight-forward spinners if you have any (the 'ole Erie Deary types). If you don't have these, purchase the needed lures at the local tackle shops here, they have everything you'll need. Also crackbaits for evening fishing, spoons and plugs if you troll.

Bring a solid container for nightcrawlers and a small bucket along with a rag/small towel or two.

Bring all your fish finders and navigation gear including a marine VHF radio (to listen in on the fishing talk and in case of emergancy), a non-electronic compass (if your electonic one goes out, you could get lost), and a pair of binoculars.

Other than the regular gear you always take out, that's the general plan. You can purchase a Lake Chart here, or if I go out with you I have several.

Make sure all you safety gear is in good shape and on board.

Any questions, or if you have room, give me a call - 614-578-0343.

West Basin

jamess2008 Guest

Hey west basin. Got a condo rented for the weekend. Think the wife and kids are going to go out with me on fri but sat. and sun. i might be open for a guy. Have a 21' skeeter so kind of stuck to smaller water closer to shore, still will run to west sister if its nice. Got your # will give ya buzz. Jim