Manual vs electric fillet knives Manual vs electric fillet knives Manual vs electric fillet knives Manual vs electric fillet knives
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Manual vs electric fillet knives

From those I have spoke with the Bubba and Rapala seem to be the most popular choices. I only get a few walleye each season so the higher catch numbers with Perch is my question. Is the electric really worth the expense to clean 25-30 perch each outing? Is it really faster? I don't scale my perch as I cut the skin off after filleting. Getting thru those scale on the initial cuts are one of the issues.
    Does an electric make a difference? Does the longer blades on electric make them more difficult to handle? Again...thanks for any suggestions or recomendations.......
    Last edited by Ole fisherman; Yesterday at 11:30 AM. Reason: Crappy spell checker

Post Thanks / Like

A few years ago we made a trip out in September and got a good mess of perch. I had no problem cleaning them with my electric and an 8 inch blade. I am right handed so I always wear a Rapala glove on my left hand that is holding the fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know that longer blade works well. How does it cut thru scales or do you scale your perch first

Post Thanks / Like

It will cut right through the scales. I will add that I use a manual knives to take rib bones out on both walleyes and perch. I think a save more meat that way. If possible I would learn to use an electric on some nice eyes to get the feel of it. Then move to perch.

Post Thanks / Like

you can get the Bubba off eBay for just over 120.00 but I did find one listing for 90.00. make sure you get one with 2 lithium batteries and either 4 or 5 blades in a case or pouch if you go this route. and I've been using electric knives for about 25 years and tried them all. I started with cheap carving knives from Walmart which worked great for a while. I've used Mister Twister but upgraded to American Angler knives, I even tried the Pirana knife which was a good knife and the Mister Twister blade worked on it. but after seeing the Bubba cordless in action I think it is the best choice.