8/17 perch 8/17 perch 8/17 perch 8/17 perch
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 8/17 perch

Post Thanks / Like

Default 8/17 perch

Lots of wind, and waves. Fished north of rattlesnake to stay out of the waves. Plenty of marks…not many bites. Only ended up with 10 decent 9-11” fish. Frozen shiners on crappie rigs. No minnows at the bait shops.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 8/17 perch

We were there too. Had live goldies from Jeanette's. Only caught 14 keeper perch and a skinny ~20 inch walleye. Spreaders with live minnows were better than crappie rigs with 1/2 minnows for us.

Post Thanks / Like

Heading up today. Going to try for some afternoon perch. Won’t be on the water until 5:00pm. Not a lot of time, so just fishing around rattlesnake. Tomorrow I’m running east to try for walleye. I’ll be running out before sunrise. Anyone seen any nets from middle bass to north east of Kelly’s? If no walleye I’ll perch the rest of the day. I’ll update if anything pans out.

Post Thanks / Like

There have been nets NE of Kelly's for past month .All the way to the line by old C can

Post Thanks / Like

But there are fish around those nets if you can figure out a way to troll near them without getting your gear stuck in them.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the info. I did perch south of rattlesnake 5:00-7:30 this evening. Caught 10 9-12” keepers. A couple shorts. A couple farm also. Half shiners on crappie rigs. Nice quality fish. First double of the year. I think I’m just perching tomorrow. I will update after I’m done. Wind is supposed to pick up Sunday, and Monday.

Post Thanks / Like

Saturday 8/31 tried south of rattlesnake. Didn’t catch much went over to the east of middle bass. Straight north of ballast. As soon as I dropped it was on. Constant bite, but nothing over 10 with most just over 8. Only problem was lack of bait. I stopped Friday on the way up. Only live shiners. I fished Friday with them, then froze the rest for Saturday. Of course they were mush as I didn’t have time to prepare them. The bites were coming every 30 seconds, but was missing most of them as it was a lite bite where I usually don’t set until the second bite. This resulted in many lost baits. Only managed 10 before I ran out of minnows.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for post.Too bad you ran out of minnows.I have heard that some guys will use the perch belly meat to put on hooks to catch perch.I have never tried it but some guys say works in a pinch .

Post Thanks / Like

It works OK, cut a 1/4" - 1/2" wide by 2" or so strip. It's easier to get on the hook if you poke a little hole in it. It stays on the hook well. I've used eyeballs too. Still better to have minnows.

Post Thanks / Like

Heading out in the morning. I don’t have a lot of confidence, but only a few more chances this year for me. We have to have the big boat out by mid October. With the blow I’ll be just west of middle bass. I’ll update tomorrow. Wind is supposed to die down a little tomorrow by noon.