Thunderstorms Thunderstorms Thunderstorms Thunderstorms
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thunderstorms

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Thunderstorms

Quote Originally Posted by BigDan View Post
    going out with skipper 9 one time JIM told me a storm with high winds, you should go with the wind and waves not into them.
    Yes....you need to control your boat speed to stay with the speed of the waves, if really high waves then throttle control is even more important so you don't get swamped. Get some practice in smaller waves, learn to "surf" your boat with the waves, the practice will pay big time if ever caught in severe weather...

Post Thanks / Like

Back in 2017 or 2018 a ferocious thunderstorm came across the lake on the PA side. 11 foot waves and 50 mph winds. Over 20 boats were lost. No one had a chance. I believe a couple fatalities. Coast Guard was called over 30 times. I was caught in one years back in a 24 foot Thompson. We were only 3 miles from Northeast Marina when we saw it coming on the horizon. Packed up and took off full speed. It hit us about a half mile from shore! I thought we were done for. My buddy did a hell of a job! I couldn’t believe how fast it came across the lake. Needless to say, I don’t go with thunderstorm chances anymore! Once was enough for me!

Post Thanks / Like

Which channel is marine weather?

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate all the life saving advice. I was only curious bc I’ve been out there before when bad weather is rolling in & it seemed as if some of the boats continued on fishing business as usual—didn’t know if they knew something I didn’t.

Post Thanks / Like

Okay Storm is coming in my face if I'm heading back to dock. Do i try to stay on that course or turn around and go with the waves and ride it out?

Post Thanks / Like

If it were me and there was no chance to tuck on the leeward side of any islands:
    1). Life jackets
    2). notify someone on land of exact location with picture of GPS
    3). antenna down
    4). Say a prayer
    5). Motor slowly into waves at 45 degree angle

Post Thanks / Like

Do NOT turn and run with the waves/wind....good chance of getting swamped by waves coming over the back of the boat. Nose on or 45 degree angle INTO the waves and just go slow/make way until you get out of the wind-front....should you lose power have a sea anchor ready (5 gallon bucket works in a pinch) tied to the BOW of the boat, not the STERN or side...ride it out and have your radio ready if necessary

Post Thanks / Like

We have a lake house on Catawba on the water and one evening some 25 yrs ago was watching a boat collecting minnows not far offshore after sunset.The guy collecting the minnows was the senior Al from the Sunoco station that also sold bait a mile west of port Clinton.We would get our worms and minnows at their place.Was watching the radar on the TV before going to bed.There was a cell coming across the lake from the NW with red color in it.Didnt look any different than many I have seen before.Was sleeping when this noise woke me.It was the wind unlike I have ever heard before or since.Could see nothing out the window with the wind and rain hitting it.I could actually feel a breeze coming through the walls.I thought it may have been a tornado. Eventually it subsided and was actually surprised there was so little damage when surveyd the outside.The following weekend went to buy worms at the Sunoco place.The senior Al was working and asked him if he got caught in that storm from last weekend.He said yes.I asked if he had ever been in wind like that before.He said never have been in wind like that.I asked him, think it was 60 or 70 mph? He said more like 80 mph.I asked if you idled into wind.He said idle wasn't enough.Had to run into wind and waves.So you never know what storms can throw at you.

Post Thanks / Like

Just had a whopper of a storm come through Parma.Wind at leading edge close to 60 mph.Weather bouy had 50 knots wind gust.Would not want to be on the lake in that kind of wind.