Spoontang, HELP ! Spoontang, HELP ! Spoontang, HELP ! Spoontang, HELP !
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Spoontang, HELP !

Hey Spoontang,
    On my jet divers, 30's & 40's if you turn them workways, on the backside there is two holes. A top hole and a bottom hole that has a clip that leads to the lure. Does the top hole make the diver go deeper or the bottom hole?When I've bought them there is nothing on the package that says. Plus, what length of line makes them reach max depth? They really should be more specific! If you can help me with this I will greatly appreciate it. Last year I started using jets to fish over in Lorain and they were really quite effective.It would be nice to know whats really going on down there so I could fine tune presentation.
    Thanks,
    Agent"H"

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default depth

to get a really good idea what is goin on i really suggest precision trolling big water. It has all the depth charts for most trolling equipment and different line sizes

Post Thanks / Like

Take a look at this http://www.luhrjensen.com/downloads/...31JetDiver.pdf

The rule of thumb is to achieve the depth of your Jet ie. 30 ft jet, run 100 ft of line out at 2mph to get your lure down 30 ft. The holes you are speaking of are meant to change angle I think.

Dave is right. Get the trolling bible. It is worth its weight in gold.

Let me know how you do.
    Last edited by spoontang; 05-20-2009 at 11:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Let me take another stab at the question. The jet has multiple holes on the fishing pole side and on the lure side.

Pole side- Each of these holes "should" get you to the jet depth, however depending what hole you use, it will take less or more line to get there. The top hole should make the jet dive (dig) and reach your depth quickest.

Lure side- If you are using the jet so that it dives to depth with least amount of line, use the hole closest to the line side. If you are using the jet setting to reach your depth with more line, use the lure side hole closest to the lure.

The purpose of multiple settings is to run multiple jets, achieve desired depth and have them staggered throughout the water.

Lets say you have 3 fishermen aboard and want to run 6, 30 ft jets. Set the as follows

2 Far jets from boat. Set these first. Use the lowest (bottom) setting (hole) on the pole side- then run the lure from the hole closest to the lure and run them back 150 ft.

2 jets to run boat side of the first jets set. This time use the middle hole on the pole side of the jet. Still use the lure hole closest to the lure. Run lines back 125 ft.

2 more. This time set the jets up to dive hard. Top hole on the pole end and this time use the hole on the lure side ahead of the hole you used on the other sets.

Now you have 6 lures running 30 ft deep and not getting tangled.

If you don't have line counters, count how many times your line runs back and forth off the reel. for instance, as your line is leaving the reel, it should travel a full course of the drum down and back and equal about 10 ft. Play with it and see. This will give you a close ballpark.

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

I herd from a bait shop in PC that the dive curve for the jets, in the precision trolling big water is wrong. That you have to devide the number they give in 1/2. Has anyone else herd that?

Bigcahooona1 Guest

No, I have not.......However I somewhat agree. Maybe not divided by 1/2 but I know that if you follow the trolling bible (which is great) and I always use 30 lb Power braid with 30 jets.....I should be on the bottom (24' down) at around 125' back and I'm really around 18-20'. I always am around 1.8-2.1 mph. You just have to play with it a little. Same goes for Dipsy's and the dive curve, I always drop back an additional 5-8' to get the depth.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Thanks to all "Jet Masters".

I printed all this stuff. Sounds like its not too complicated. Looking forward to the weekend. Planning on using both jets and dipsy's. The reason I'm wondering about the jets is they will get the bait a little further away from the boat. I'm guessing that the fish will be alittle shy. Good luck to all .
    p.s. What channel do most people stay on ?
    Thanks, Agent "H"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Additional Info

Agent,

Hope you don't mind me adding my two cents worth, but reading these posts got me thinking about the same concerns you voiced in your original post. I went looking for information and found this web site. Don't know if it will help, but I found it informative. Good luck!

http://www.straitlineanglers.com/Art...ng_Planers.htm

Post Thanks / Like

I havn't run a jet in a few years however I have caught hundreds of eyes using them. There are truely so many variables it is tough knowing your exact depth. You will find when you catch a fish at a determined amount of line let out, ie 125 ft, that will be your kill zone. What I like to optimize depth is using a good braid, 17 lb test or so, and a stoudt rod. Braid doesn't have the stretch and a stoudt rod keeps the jet digging rather than the rod giving way to the jet.