May 24th & 25th May 24th & 25th May 24th & 25th May 24th & 25th

Thread: May 24th & 25th

Default May 24th & 25th

Thinking about makeing the drive out for this weekend? How far out have the eyes moved? Where would be a good location to launch from. I have a 19ft Deep V and never fished Erie before, any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm a little concerened when I see the wind is going to change out of the North / East Sunday & Monday.
    I was thinking about heading out of Oak Harbor / Fenwick but I see a lot of talk about Kelly island and dumping grounds so I'm not sure where to start.

Thanks for any help you can give me!

mastroller Guest

if i were you i would try to walleye fish on the west side of kellys or try the south east and west corners of kellys

mizzuricks(spelling?) is a nice public ramp to launch from if you plan on fishing the kellys island area

How is the weather & Wind looking for this weekend?

Best weather we have had in a while. the lake is clearing up nice. Slight chance of t-storms Sat afternoon. Other than that, light winds and waves all weekend long. The only thing I don't like is some of the wind we will have is East but the pressure is stable.

Default area

Are the fish still in close by Fenwick area or should I look at Kelly's area? I know the reef area is not that far out and would much rather fish in closer since I've never fished Erie before.

Thanks

There should be fish in close for another month or 6 weeks however the numbers will start to dwindle. I remember perch fishing G can (just 3 mi. out) last year around July 14 watching others catch eyes all around us and we caught a couple on spreaders too. What I like about the Kellys area is diverse structure with several reefs and deep water holes. I also have to believe there are many fish in the ccan,dcan to Niagra area.

If you were fishing Lake Erie for the first time in a 19ft Deep V and really want to get on the fish where would you head. We like to drift fish, jigs or bouncers with blades. I know I can launch out of Fenwick for the close reefs but where should I launch for the islands? Looking for the shortest run possible to the islands just because of the way the waves get out there.

Thanks for all your help!

Bass Islands- Catawba State park and West Harbor public launch

Kellys- Mazurik near Lakeside

Ag Broker Guest

Completly agree drop in at catawba State park, its a very short trip over to the islands, however I must warn you. stay more East of Mouse island when you head, as thats the fairy channel over to PIB. and we like to call it the slop shot, for whatever reason it stays very choppy along there route. Ill be heading out soon in a 19.5Ft. and plan on hittin West side of Kellys good luck, they took the rain outa the forecast too.