Fishing Day 1 of 3 with Bob, Tom, and Dave....6/12/24 Fishing Day 1 of 3 with Bob, Tom, and Dave....6/12/24 Fishing Day 1 of 3 with Bob, Tom, and Dave....6/12/24 Fishing Day 1 of 3 with Bob, Tom, and Dave....6/12/24
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing Day 1 of 3 with Bob, Tom, and Dave....6/12/24

This morning, I picked up my crew at the White Caps Motel at 4:30, and headed to Vermilion again. We hit the gas station on the way, to pick up some ice for the coolers, and were launched by 5:30.
    It was a beautiful sunrise, of reds, yellows, and oranges painting the partly cloudy sky with warm colors. The air temp was 67 degrees, and the wind was out of the SSE at 10 mph.

We headed back to where I was yesterday, which was about 6-7 miles NNE, and set up over 44 feet of water. But, unlike yesterday, where we set up over deeper water, and headed towards shallower water...this time, since there was a wind direction change, we set up over shallower water and headed towards deeper water. I had took note, of the amount of fish the Humminbird was marking on our way back in, yesterday, and found them to still be in the same areas, so we started short of where we were yesterday, and set a heading towards it.

The same program that worked yesterday, worked today, too.

We ran dipsies on the zero, two, and three settings. The two inside dipsies, on the zero settings were set at 54 on the starboard side, and 40 on the port side. The two setting ran on the starboard side at 65 back, and the three setting ran on the port side at 55 back.

Yeck spoons and Scorpion spoons ran off the dipsies and were in constant action.

The starboard side ran Bill Lewis PWC Lites with 2 oz snap weights at 50/80, 50/50, and 50/27 behind Off Shore boards.

The port side could only run two baits behind the boards, due to the rod limitation, of three per angler. So, two Bandits ran at 120 and 80 back, unassisted.

Speed was 2.3-2.5 mph
    Water temp was 67 degrees

Stronger SSW winds tomorrow morning, so we will not be going back out that way, and will launch out of Mazurik's or Dempsey's...I'm not sure yet.

Stay tuned....

Capt Juls

Attached Images Attached Images Fishing Day 1 of 3 with Bob, Tom, and Dave....6/12/24-bob-tom-dave-6_12_20245-jpeg Fishing Day 1 of 3 with Bob, Tom, and Dave....6/12/24-bob-tom-dave-6_12_20241-jpeg Fishing Day 1 of 3 with Bob, Tom, and Dave....6/12/24-bob-tom-dave-6_12_20247-jpeg Fishing Day 1 of 3 with Bob, Tom, and Dave....6/12/24-bob-tom-dave2-6_12_20241-jpg Fishing Day 1 of 3 with Bob, Tom, and Dave....6/12/24-bob-tom-dave-6_12_202410-jpeg 
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fishing Day 1 of 3 with Bob, Tom, and Dave....6/12/24

Thanks for the report Juls. You didn't say if you got your limits or not but judging by the picture and all the fish in the cooler I'd say you did.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by badboards View Post
    Thanks for the report Juls. You didn't say if you got your limits or not but judging by the picture and all the fish in the cooler I'd say you did.
    Yes...yes, we did. Caught well over the limits, but only kept the better ones. It was pretty much non-stop action, for four hours.
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

So, no crawlers? And spoons out-performed cranks?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gb1234 View Post
    So, no crawlers? And spoons out-performed cranks?
    No crawlers, or I would have said I used crawlers. lol

It was 50/50 on the catch rates between spoons and cranks...the cranks caught the bigger fish, though.
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, Juls....great information as per usual. I've never had the courage to run my Offshore boards simultaneously with Dipsys. Could you describe the positioning of these ? Boards are farthest from the boat, I assume? Your expertise is much appreciated, as always.
    Polar Kraft Frontier 179 WT
    Yamaha 90 4 stroke
    Suzuki 9.9 EFI
    Minn Kota Terrova iPilot 80# w/ US2
    Lowrance Elite Ti2 9 inch
    Lowrance Elite 5x

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mooner View Post
    Hi, Juls....great information as per usual. I've never had the courage to run my Offshore boards simultaneously with Dipsys. Could you describe the positioning of these ? Boards are farthest from the boat, I assume? Your expertise is much appreciated, as always.
    If you look at this picture...the two dipsey rods are the furthest two rods, back towards the back of the boat.

The shorter rod, or the "inside rod", is the last one. The longer, "outside rod", is the second from the back.

The zero setting, is on the short rod, keeping the bait straight down, while the outside rod runs at the two or three setting, keeping it further out away from the inside rod's bait.

The boards run like they normally would....away from everything.

Just use common sense, and be aware of where your lines/baits are when reeling in fish, and you'll be just fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images Fishing Day 1 of 3 with Bob, Tom, and Dave....6/12/24-jason-cindy-john-5_19_20243-jpeg 
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Jules are you using the line twist thing on the front clip of the boards? I'm going to try it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jokim_99 View Post
    Jules are you using the line twist thing on the front clip of the boards? I'm going to try it.
    I am, and it's made a big difference....I just recently switched over to this way of doing it. There are less tangles, and it's easier to bring the fish in, when the fish pulls the board under. There's no resistance when it does go under, like when the board is still attached to both releases. I'm loving it...
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Juls View Post
    If you look at this picture...the two dipsey rods are the furthest two rods, back towards the back of the boat.

The shorter rod, or the "inside rod", is the last one. The longer, "outside rod", is the second from the back.

The zero setting, is on the short rod, keeping the bait straight down, while the outside rod runs at the two or three setting, keeping it further out away from the inside rod's bait.

The boards run like they normally would....away from everything.

Just use common sense, and be aware of where your lines/baits are when reeling in fish, and you'll be just fine.
    Thanks, Juls....I guess I had the right strategy in mind. I've been doing the loop trick, too, and really like it. Now, if we could just get rid of those midgesl. Ugh
    Polar Kraft Frontier 179 WT
    Yamaha 90 4 stroke
    Suzuki 9.9 EFI
    Minn Kota Terrova iPilot 80# w/ US2
    Lowrance Elite Ti2 9 inch
    Lowrance Elite 5x