Minn Kota survey Minn Kota survey Minn Kota survey Minn Kota survey
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Minn Kota survey

I have an 80# thrust Terrova for a little 16' aluminum mod-v. It's powered by two 100 ah lifepo4s in series to get 24 volts. I troll but I only go out if wind is under 10 knots. It seems to work fine for an hour or so but then starts shutting down. I do notice that autopilot usually keeps the motor speed on about 8, which seems excessive for such a small boat.
    So I would like to know if this is normal.
    What are you all running as far as thrust? What batteries do you have? How long can you troll?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Minn Kota survey

you should only have to steer with the electric now. trolling speeds are up. run your other motor for power. you should get by with speed 4 or less. 8 IS WAY TO HIGH! no wonder everything is getting hot and shutting down.

Quote Originally Posted by gb1234 View Post
    I have an 80# thrust Terrova for a little 16' aluminum mod-v. It's powered by two 100 ah lifepo4s in series to get 24 volts. I troll but I only go out if wind is under 10 knots. It seems to work fine for an hour or so but then starts shutting down. I do notice that autopilot usually keeps the motor speed on about 8, which seems excessive for such a small boat.
    So I would like to know if this is normal.
    What are you all running as far as thrust? What batteries do you have? How long can you troll?

Post Thanks / Like

Is the gauge wire heavy enough for your battery to the motor?
    Had that issue with my motor guide. Went to recommended 6 gauge and everything is fine.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with pfk. Trolling speed is achieved with outboard motor and only run your trolling motor fast enough to steer the boat. We only have Interstate 27 batteries and we have run 8-10 hours solid without running out of power on a weekend trip.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 36v Ulterra with three 100ah lithiums on a 21.5 ft center console...BIG wire to the motor, probably a #6 as stated before...if motor speed is any more than 5 then I turn on the big motor because I can kill even those batteries in 2 hours at high draws. I only troll WITH or on an angle to the waves, not into them like the guys on the charter boats do.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in so far. It sounds like I shouldn't expect the batteries to give me 14 hours of 2.2 mph?
    How exactly do you use the Minn Kota for steering in conjunction with the gas motor for speed? I can set a bearing on the Minn Kota, but I would have to set some kind of target speed with that, right? I would think the Minn Kota would turn the boat sideways, working at cross purposes to the gas motor. Maybe the Minn Kota has to be set to a higher speed than the gas motor so it can pull in the same direction, at least a little? Then do you have to adust the gas motor speed as you turn in and out of the wind?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gb1234 View Post
    Thanks to everyone who has chimed in so far. It sounds like I shouldn't expect the batteries to give me 14 hours of 2.2 mph?
    How exactly do you use the Minn Kota for steering in conjunction with the gas motor for speed? I can set a bearing on the Minn Kota, but I would have to set some kind of target speed with that, right? I would think the Minn Kota would turn the boat sideways, working at cross purposes to the gas motor. Maybe the Minn Kota has to be set to a higher speed than the gas motor so it can pull in the same direction, at least a little? Then do you have to adust the gas motor speed as you turn in and out of the wind?
    if you have auto pilot on that minn kota its not a problem. set a heading going with the wind or slightly off just not into it. set the speed at 4 and then bump up the big motor to the speed you want. the MK will keep you on that straight course and not go above the 4 speed. if you have to turn on fish and there is wind it's better to wind up and run back to your original area and make another trolling run with the wind.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to clarify autopilot is for your direction or heading that you want to go. Cruise control is for a constant speed. Cruise control will cause the motor to ramp up and down as needed. I don't use the cruise control. I like the surge and pause waves create. Like others have said, set the trolling motor between 4-5 power with the autopilot on for direction and use the main motor (or kicker) to get the speed desired. One thing to watch is the head of the trolling motor. If it continues to point a little to the left or right more than straight you will need to make a small correction to the main motor to help it go straight. Hope this helps.