Evening May 17 Evening May 17 Evening May 17 Evening May 17
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Evening May 17

Post Thanks / Like

Default Evening May 17

Not much to report. I made a longer run to the East side of N Bass in 35 fow. Set up for a drift. Picked a quick one, then nothing. I noticed a few trollers netting from time to time. I fired up the kicker and set out to troll. Hooked one in an hour or so, but others trolling near us were doing well. It appeared the others trolling were going .6 mph or so. They were set up using 6 walleye boards and I think bottom bouncers. I think they all had electric motors running from the bow, mainly just to keep the boat straight. This is a method I am not familiar with but would like to learn. It reminds me of a day in may 2005 just like today. Very slow presentation, no motor noise, lures spread out each side and it worked and what I did didn't.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default East lake

Wife and I went up around cleve over the week end shoreline scouting from downtown to eastlake starting to pick up around the shore at night A 30 WALLEYE was caught friday night after dark lots of small perch thinking about putting in at chagrin river and working the shore line after dark in a couple of weeks what do you think ?

Post Thanks / Like

Based on my recent lack of success, I am not sure I am the best one to give advice. During my trip last night, a friend I had with me was speaking about an old timer that gets out at night all summer long and fishes shorelines in 6-8 fow and does very well, pulling cranks of some sort. I don't know if enough of the primary school has made it that far East this early. It seems as though the fishing there gets going late June. I am sure there should be some river spawners hanging out however.

It sounds as though fishermen last night didn't do well overall. The 4 boats near us using this trolloing method were from Wisconson. They all limited. They were moving very slow and had lines only out to the sides. I must equip to set up this way. I am not the best, but I do pretty good. Watching others catch when I am not is frustrating. It still beats work. I am just miffed!

Any one with experience fishing this method, please post a thorough explanation of details. I really want to learn this.

Mellow Yellow Guest

Default We are new to walleye fishing on Erie

My wife and I love to drift fish for walleye by the islands. We have been using purple jigs tipped with minnows...caught some small mouth bass...and some sheepheads. Now that June is coming any recommendations for what technique/lures to use as the water warms.

Thanks for your time!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default drifting with harnesses

drifting with harnesses is what it sounds like they are doing or they maybe stright lining cranks but that slow i wouldnt think they would work but they may what we do spoony is planer boards out run lines out and just in to gear fast enough for boat to just barly be moving

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default eve fishing shoreline

going to try this maybe wed weather looks good so far shallow water trolling with cranks and worm harness and will post my sucsess or failure asap going to be in the west end of the lake and work around one of the rivers any sugestions

Post Thanks / Like

Believe it or not, the water is 1 degree colder now than it was 2 weeks ago. We are right in the transition from jigs to worms. I honestly think the fish are confused with the foul weather and lack of temp. Fishing Friday was very good and then most struggled after that. Some did well but not the majority. The water is as dirty as I have seen it in a long time to add insult to injury.

Jig- I got a long detailed explanation as to the method of fishing I was inquiring about. You hit the nail on the head. Sounds like the key is to get worm harnesses away from the boat with walleye boards, troll 1mph or less with electric.

Mellow- By June, you should be able to catch fish by any means you try. Drifting with bait or trolling spoons and cranks. As the water warms you can troll faster.

MLB-Do you have an area in mind to try your shallow water troll?