Fishing with Lisa and Tanya...4/9/2024 Fishing with Lisa and Tanya...4/9/2024 Fishing with Lisa and Tanya...4/9/2024 Fishing with Lisa and Tanya...4/9/2024
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fishing with Lisa and Tanya...4/9/2024

Quote Originally Posted by slimshady View Post
    I have been doing that for years and it works great. I use the black medium tension clips on the front of my boards and put the line about halfway in. Never had one break off and I use 15# test big game green. The key (IMO) is to grab the rod, hold the spool and give it a quick "buggy whip" as soon as you grab the rod. It should pop right out and then wait a few seconds for it to drop back before you start reeling.

My regular fishing partner loves the Sam's pro releases, and they work great as well. I will say, do not use the cheap red ones, as those suck, big time! The black plastic is hard and slippery on those and they are hard to keep the line wrapped. If you use the real black ones, you will be fine. Just takes a minute to get the tension right and then you are good.

One more tip, I switched all my rear releases to the Bluewater tackle releases and they are great. They are similar to the red Off-shore clips, but they have an aluminum pin in the middle that won't wear out and it is easier to remove when you have a fish.
    Yes, I know how to pop the line. I do it the same way.

Just moving the spring in the OR-19s (orange releases that come with the boards), to the middle position, reduces the tension, making it easier to release the line. The further forward it is, the more tension there is, so moving it back releases some tension. I hadn't done that on my first try with them, when I was using the Sunline. I could keep using the Sunline, now that I know that, but I've already swapped out line on all the reels, so I'll keep using the Big Game for now. I still might switch back, eventually, because I do like the Sunline better...the line diameter is much closer to the PTD line used in their data, too.

As for the rear release...I like the Snapper (OR-18), because on cold days, when the hands are really cold, it's so much easier to press the lever up with my thumb, than to squeeze a release. It also has the ability for me to adjust the tension, if needed. And, it's easier for my customers...many, for some reason, can't get the line behind the pin, but don't tell me until I notice it. I can't have that happening when the line is released from the front arm. I don't want to be chasing boards.

Also, on a side note...I'm the Director of the Off Shore Tackle Pro Staff, for Ohio, so I don't think they would approve of me using someone else's releases on the boards.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Juls View Post
    Yes, I know how to pop the line. I do it the same way.

Just moving the spring in the OR-19s (orange releases that come with the boards), to the middle position, reduces the tension, making it easier to release the line. The further forward it is, the more tension there is, so moving it back releases some tension. I hadn't done that on my first try with them, when I was using the Sunline. I could keep using the Sunline, now that I know that, but I've already swapped out line on all the reels, so I'll keep using the Big Game for now. I still might switch back, eventually, because I do like the Sunline better...the line diameter is much closer to the PTD line used in their data, too.

As for the rear release...I like the Snapper (OR-18), because on cold days, when the hands are really cold, it's so much easier to press the lever up with my thumb, than to squeeze a release. It also has the ability for me to adjust the tension, if needed. And, it's easier for my customers...many, for some reason, can't get the line behind the pin, but don't tell me until I notice it. I can't have that happening when the line is released from the front arm. I don't want to be chasing boards.

Also, on a side note...I'm the Director of the Off Shore Tackle Pro Staff, for Ohio, so I don't think they would approve of me using someone else's releases on the boards.
    Understood! The OR-18s work great, but they are a bit pricey. Otherwise I would probably use them on mine too. They don't have a pin though, do you ever have any issues with them coming off? That is the other reason I have been reluctant to use them on the back. I am testing the Scheels cam style releases on the back of some of mine, and so far, so good. They are similar to the OR-18s in how they operate, but they have a slot that the line goes into so it can't come out until the cam is opened up. But again, I understand that you can't use them.
    https://slimshadycustoms.com/ Slimshady Customs - Custom Painted Crankbaits & Blanks. (Bandit Style Deep-Divers and other various crankbaits)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishfinder View Post
    I bought the black ones, Sam's, but I also got some of the cheaper red ones (Before I read this lol) They might work for me since I only go out three or four times a year. Time will tell.
    Good luck with them. I bought 8 of them and they all ended up at the bottom of a trash can. If you can figure out how to make them work for you, great. I was sick of wrapping the line and having it all come right off before I could even deploy them. When I did get it wrapped correctly, they would typically not release properly and I would end up with tangles, etc. I went back to the black OR releases on the front of mine. I can set them in 2 seconds and they pop for me every time. If I was using braid, I would use the Sam's Pro releases for sure.
    https://slimshadycustoms.com/ Slimshady Customs - Custom Painted Crankbaits & Blanks. (Bandit Style Deep-Divers and other various crankbaits)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slimshady View Post
    They don't have a pin though, do you ever have any issues with them coming off?
    Oh, but they DO have a pin. If you push the lever forward instead of backwards, the pin sits in front of the release, instead of in the middle of it...keeping the line behind the pin, so you don't lose the board, if the line slips out of the pads, for whatever reason.

If that is happening, there is a tension screw underneath, so it can be tightened up again.
    Attached Images Attached Images Fishing with Lisa and Tanya...4/9/2024-img_3133-jpg Fishing with Lisa and Tanya...4/9/2024-img_3134-jpg 
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I didn’t realize that they did that.