Anybody help a weekender? Anybody help a weekender? Anybody help a weekender? Anybody help a weekender?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Anybody help a weekender?

Sounds good. Ill keep in touch

Post Thanks / Like

Many…if not most…of us, are weekenders. We love to fish, but still have jobs. I don’t think any of us want to be the “Googan” who pulls right up on head boats and tries to fish out of their coolers. But this is the best walleye fishing since the 80’s when my grandfather, “The Kentucky Colonel” ran a charter business. And there are literally millions of walleye out there. And we have the awesome privilege of fishing this lake. Just this weekend I saw license plates from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, and Indiana. People travel from far and wide. So let’s make sure we all have a great time, with the time that we DO have, on the lake. And share information. Tight lines!

Post Thanks / Like

chx-wing - The way I determine the direction of current is to start trolling directly down wind with a dipsy on each side with same settings and lure. But the lure is not necessary for this. Make All things equal rod, rod angle up and to back and same lines on each reel.

Then you watch the angles of line going into the water. The angle off the rods should be the same and distance away from the boat the same as line enters the water. When all these things appear equal, the current is also equal below you in the depth your divers are running. Many times the current is different and one will pull harder than the other. If the port pulls stronger than starboard, further back and further from boat, then current is more from starboard. and vise versa. Try to keep trolling until your lines are reading equal to each other. Note the direction on compass and that is either up current or down current. This system can work with flatline lures back but the dipsy or Lite Bite divers tell the story more obvious to me.

Rickerd
    Last edited by rickerd; 04-15-2024 at 10:39 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Any thoughts for this weekend? Might be a little choppy, but is anyone heading out and any advice for locations to jig?

Post Thanks / Like

The jig bite was on last week, caught some nice ones on the crib reef.

Post Thanks / Like

We went to Turtle point for three days, we got there Wednesday evening and it was choppy so we went out Thursday morning and only got two jigging, went back our around four and got six in the boat lost two at the boat and one short throw back. It was a very slow bite. I heard it was going to be bad this morning so we did not get up too early but we did hear the boats going out and coming back in rather quickly, most turned around at the mouth of the lake, it was BAD. We decided to come back today instead of Saturday evening. I think it supposed to bad until Monday but the water will be a mess after the huge waves today.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report Fishfinder. Without a doubt the weather has been crazy! I swear March was better than April. Two of my buddies went out of Huron on Monday and the fishing was brutal. They pulled everything but the kitchen sink and caught nada. According to them, the fish were in the dirty water but would not chew. They found clean water but didn't mark any fish.
    Let's hope things turn around soon.

Post Thanks / Like

I got my boat ready 2 months ago. It's not a big boat so I need 2 feet or less. The last 2 weeks of February was better than March. I'm maybe gonna make it up Sunday but who knows. Ohio can be bipolar.

Post Thanks / Like

I understand that, I have a 17 deep V and I like to stay within 12 MPH wind But it is always better out of any direction other than out of the east.

Post Thanks / Like

Good Morning everyone. I am heading up Thursday evening to fish Friday and Saturday. It looks like the weather is going to cooperate and any guidance would be appreciated. Is the jig bite still on? If so any spots better than others? I plan to go out of Catawba would like to jig or cast to start then can troll. Thanks in advance for any info...