Mothers day weekend Mothers day weekend Mothers day weekend Mothers day weekend
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mothers day weekend

With the unusually warm weather, I am wondering from you locals if you have experienced anything like this in regards to the early arrival of spring and the affects for early May fishing. We will arrive on Mothers Day through the following week. One of my partners suggested we change our dates to April. The thought was that things could possibly be not as good in May compared to April based on this weather pattern. My thought is it would not make a huge difference, but would like to hear from people with more experience, I don't want to make a lot of changes in the schedule if it isn't necessary. Thanks for the replies in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Mothers day weekend

Who knows? The walleye are up in the Maumee river earlier than normal but that may be because there was no ice to deal with and the river fishers could get out earlier. Temperature of the water makes the most difference when the spawn starts I think.
    May is generally one of the best months to catch walleyes on the lake and with the temps being warmer than normal the water will be warming some what quicker but I'm not sure it will throw things off too much.
    Trollers have been catching some nice fish east of Toledo a bit since February. Not having ice on the lake allows boats out alot earlier. I don't know that it's worth changing all your plans over. Heck come both months.
    Hooked on Fishin
    252 Sportcraft
    Yamaha 8hp Kicker

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't change my dates if I were you. With a crazy late winter like this we are likely to get snow in April. May is always a safe bet for good fishing.

Good Luck!

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.
    Post Thanks / Like

May 11/12 weekend is past the spawn season (bigger fish on and around the reefs), even on a late winter season (80-90% done). Your biggest issue will be, as usual, weather. Don't change your travel dates. That time of year is usually really good, unless the weather has been bad (wind) for several days. Second half of March forecast is for cooler weather / "normal" temps. April weather can be real fickle. Unless you are targeting larger walleye (March / April), no reason to come earlier. Plus, you have a better change of getting nicer, warmer weather in May.