Fishing with Jen and Matt... 11/25/2023 Fishing with Jen and Matt... 11/25/2023 Fishing with Jen and Matt... 11/25/2023 Fishing with Jen and Matt... 11/25/2023
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing with Jen and Matt... 11/25/2023

Winter is coming...time to put some fish in my freezer, for some walleye chowder I like to make over the cold season.

I invited my friends Jen and Matt, to go fishing today. The high temp for the day was only going to be 35 degrees, but the winds were calm, so it would be a good day to go out. The water temp was still at 43 degrees, so there was no icing up at the ramps, yet.

We launched out of Catawba at 9:30(ish), and headed out looking for some fish near the islands. There were several boats working the F Can area, but I decided that going back to the Starve Island area, where Jen and I fished the last time out was our best bet....and, I was right.

There were several boats over there, too, but not too crowded, so down went the Terrova and the baby Merc. The Fish Hawk was deployed, because there's a lot of current in that area, and the speed set at 1.8 on the FH. The SOG was showing 2.0-2.1mph on an easterly direction.

We targeted the south edge of the "hole", in 28-32 feet of water. There weren't a lot of marks, but we started catching anyway.

We set up with what Jen and I used last week, and it didn't disappoint.

We set the following behind the Off Shore boards:

DHJ14s in Blue/Chrome with a 2oz snap weight set at 30/30 (putting the weight on at the 30 mark and letting out another 30' for a total of 60')

Bill Lewis PWCs (Precision Walleye Crank, for those that are as bad at acronyms, as I am)...BH Wonderbread, Christmas Sweater, and Green Tiger set 60-75 back, unassisted (meaning, no weight).

A Dead Eye (deep)... Red Headed Wonderbread, painted by DJ Custom Eye Lures at 50/24 2oz took three fish.

Spro Madeye 120 in the color, "Marvin" at 98 back unassisted did well, too.

We managed to put 19 fish in the boat, but only kept 17. Two smaller 17" fish were released to get a chance to grow bigger.

The average was 2-4 pounds, with our largest going around 6 pounds.

It was a fun 4 hours on a beautiful lake, and it didn't really feel that cold, since there wasn't any wind.

The boat is back in its heated storage, and ready to go out again, when the weather allows.

Stay tuned....

Capt Juls
    Attached Images Attached Images Fishing with Jen and Matt... 11/25/2023-jen-matt-11-25-20237-jpeg Fishing with Jen and Matt... 11/25/2023-jen-matt-11-25-20235-jpeg Fishing with Jen and Matt... 11/25/2023-jen-matt-11-25-20231-jpeg Fishing with Jen and Matt... 11/25/2023-jen-matt-11-25-20239-jpeg Fishing with Jen and Matt... 11/25/2023-jen-matt-11-25-20236-jpeg 
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Fishing with Jen and Matt... 11/25/2023

Good report. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for another outstanding report. You are an inspiration.

I think we have been plowing the same area for the last few weeks. It sure helps with the gas bill.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

good stuff juls, thanks for posting!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the detailed report…

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Juls View Post
    There were several boats over there, too, but not too crowded, so down went the Terrova and the baby Merc. The Fish Hawk was deployed, because there's a lot of current in that area, and the speed set at 1.8 on the FH. The SOG was showing 2.0-2.1mph on an easterly direction.
    Thanks for another great report Capt. Juls! I do have a question about your trolling method of using your "baby Merc" and the Terrova simultaneously. What advantages do you see of doing this if higher speeds aren't necessary? Do you have better boat control? Would you say the extra noise of running the Merc is an advantage, disadvantage or do you feel the extra noise makes little difference? I do not have a small kicker on my boat, but the only time I've felt I needed it was when I need higher speeds or when I am trying to troll into the wind. So I have been considering getting one if there is definite advantage of having it. I have a relatively small boat, 18 foot Tracker Targa Deep V. I would value your thoughts on this or anyone else that would like to chime in.

Thanks! Lynn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn M View Post
    Thanks for another great report Capt. Juls! I do have a question about your trolling method of using your "baby Merc" and the Terrova simultaneously. What advantages do you see of doing this if higher speeds aren't necessary? Do you have better boat control? Would you say the extra noise of running the Merc is an advantage, disadvantage or do you feel the extra noise makes little difference? I do not have a small kicker on my boat, but the only time I've felt I needed it was when I need higher speeds or when I am trying to troll into the wind. So I have been considering getting one if there is definite advantage of having it. I have a relatively small boat, 18 foot Tracker Targa Deep V. I would value your thoughts on this or anyone else that would like to chime in.

Thanks! Lynn
    The advantage is, better battery life on the trolling motor batteries. In the early spring, when the speeds are super slow, I won't use the kicker, but once I'm going speeds that need the trolling motor to go over power level 5, I engage the kicker, too.

I have the tiller model, so I can just lock it in straight. I just want it to push us, while the Terrova does all the steering. I use the iTroll to dial in the RPM speed, so I can dial in the speed needed to allow the Terrova's power level to stay at number 5.
    I like power level 5, because it will give me enough power to keep control of the bow on windy days, without using up all the batteries. I'd rather the power come from the kicker.
    I will bump the trolling motor speed up and down, from time to time, (for turns or to just slow down a bit), but mostly it stays at level 5.

Simply....with a boat my size, and weight, there is no way my bow mount could last the day, without the kicker there to help...especially, if I am headed into the wind.

I do not think noise is a factor, when it comes to catching, because the Off Shore boards are taking the baits out away from the boat...they still bite.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, that makes perfect sense. I am running a 24 volt Ulterra on two 156 AH Lithium batteries, so running out of power is not an issue unless I try to run 2 days without charging. Thanks for the feedback!

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't have a built in transducer you can add a skeg (rudder) onto the trolling motor to improve steering. I usually don't have to turn the prop on at all and can pretty much turn on a dime. Once in a while in a decent breeze with a strong current I might have to bump it up to 2 just to get through the peak of the turn.