Walleye S E of Kelly's Walleye S E of Kelly's Walleye S E of Kelly's Walleye S E of Kelly's
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Walleye S E of Kelly's

Sounds like you got some bad boards, badboards!

Post Thanks / Like

Haha!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry but I couldn't help myself. Another way for board to pull harder than modifying with added weight, is the position or location the line is attached to the board.
    How many lines max do you intend to run off those boards on each side? The charters use big boards because they use 4 to 6 lines off each board. If you are using 3 or less lines off each side, you would be best to use inline boards.
    The absolute best setup to run cranks is with mono off inline boards.Most all agree to that.Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Moving the attachment point back might make it pull harder. Slap some self stick harbor freight wheel weights on the outside along bottom edge, will surely pull better. At least half of the board should be under water. I have a homemade wood set that pull okay. Got the amish outfitters, pull better.

Releases:
    I use chrome shower curtain rings with white plastic heavy duty clothes pins for releases, then size 10 rubberbands. (1InTheHome Multi-Purpose Hanger Clips (24 Count) on amazon)
    If the bite is lite or lots of shorts (july) the rubberband gets bit in a straight line in the jaws of the clothespin so it can slide out with some resistance.
    If the bite is hard and all big girls(spring) I have the rubberband loop behind the teeth of the clothespin so it must break to release.

I have also been with guys that break the rubberband and pinch in a store bought release.

They don't always release, but can deffinatly see the rod tip indicate a fish. The furthest rod will have an odd jump when the line hits the water and pulls out. Fish jiggle. Point rod at clip, real up some slack and give a huge hook set to release them.

Get 100 releases. Sucks to pull boards in because you ran out

Post Thanks / Like

That's all great advice. It was pretty choppy that day two footers maybe the occasional three so conditions weren't the best. Love the clothes hanger idea I'm going to give that a try and also try adding a little weight. Moving the main line connection back one hole I think is going to help. I've used inline boards for years but I like the idea of not needing to juggle the boards. Just seems like less to do and worry about. Can't wait to give it a try. Unfortunately it won't be until spring. Thanks a million.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by badboards View Post
    Caught 3 nice keepers all males biggest was 25" thought for sure it was a female big old belly on it but no eggs. First time I've ever fished with big boards still have a lot to learn. Speed was 2.5 mph. Trolling East with the wind to my back. I believe I would have caught more than three but for some reason my rubber bands didn't break size 16 not sure what that was about. Could have been dragging those fish for a couple hours. couldn't quite figure out why I wasn't catching anything there were lots of marks a commercial boat out there was tossing some pretty nice size walleye into their live well. Not sure if there was too much slack in my main line that the rubber bands were attached to. shouldn't that line be firm and tight. Hope to have it figured out by spring. Last day tomorrow hope to get some jumbo perch I'll let you know how that goes planning on fishing over by Marblehead lighthouse or somewhere around lakeside. If anybody does have any tips about how to make that main line tighter that would be great.

I can't imagine a walleye breaking a #16 rubber band. I use them on salmon and lake trout and they often have problems breaking the band. Stretch in the band, slide on the tether line - lots of issues. I have no problems with using pinch pad releases. Yellow Offshore releases work well, but they are pricey. I make my own with alligator electrical clips and shower curtain hooks. I know bazillions of guys use in-line boards but I hate them because they eliminate what little fight is in a walleye.

Post Thanks / Like

I got that size from a post it does stretch to much. I took Mr fisherman's advice and bought size 10 and clips from Amazon. I was only using shower curtain clips but if the band don't break it drags fish. I'll be trying out this new setup this week. I'll report back how it goes.

Post Thanks / Like

That is a pretty good set up. Rubber band didn't break on a respectable 20" walleye but it did pull out of clip also moving back 1 space where the main line attaches to the board helped tighten the line. I did also buy the weights to have if I need them. I'm done for the year but be back out spring 24 using big boards. thanks for your help.

Post Thanks / Like

Your welcome. Glad it worked out for you.

Going slow in the spring is the tell if boards pull hard or not. Bigger+ heavier =harder pull

Also flags or driveway markers help with all the extra traffic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by badboards View Post
    Makes sense. These boards are older the brand name is Rivera. The have hinges to open and close. They are plastic with foam core. I'm wondering if I had them backwards. I had the Pointed edge going forward but the white foam faced out and yellow plastic faced in. That to me seemed weird.
    replace the foam core with wood