winds from the East fish bite the least ? winds from the East fish bite the least ? winds from the East fish bite the least ? winds from the East fish bite the least ?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default winds from the East fish bite the least ?

So, this is the saying any suggestions on what to do when we get these ongoing northeast east winds? Coming up this afternoon and tomorrow morning work on the boat or fish ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: winds from the East fish bite the least ?

Been around Lake Erie most of my 70 plus years, east winds, especially northeast winds kill the bite. There have been a few exceptions of course, but for the majority of the time, fishing is poor. Perch seem more affected than walleye in my opinion. I have not been out in two weeks and the few times before that I was wasting fuel. This summer was hot for the perch bite, but mid summer turned to weeks of easterly winds, full moons which make minnow harvesting fail...hasn't been worth going out. I do see some westerly wind forecasts comming next week. Hopefully that will spark the bite again before the season ends....and that time is comming quickly !!

Post Thanks / Like

The wind is out of the east at 4-8. That’s practically no wind. Sooner or later they have to. As I’m posting I’m on the ferry to middle bass. 5 boats perching south of green at 4:30 on Friday. Maybe they came out after work. Last time I was out all the perch marks up this way were between green, rattlesnake, and south bass. Couldn’t get a bite, but nice marks. I’m starting in the dark tomorrow morning. Casting walleye. Then move over to try perch after sunrise. Most likely put a troll together around 11. I will let you guys know how it goes. I would guess this weekend should be as good as it has been for a couple weeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Boy View Post
    The wind is out of the east at 4-8. That’s practically no wind. Sooner or later they have to. As I’m posting I’m on the ferry to middle bass. 5 boats perching south of green at 4:30 on Friday. Maybe they came out after work. Last time I was out all the perch marks up this way were between green, rattlesnake, and south bass. Couldn’t get a bite, but nice marks. I’m starting in the dark tomorrow morning. Casting walleye. Then move over to try perch after sunrise. Most likely put a troll together around 11. I will let you guys know how it goes. I would guess this weekend should be as good as it has been for a couple weeks.
    ok thanks going to try in the morning and see how the trolling goes then try for perch after a while also .

Post Thanks / Like

Sitting on the back of the big boat currently. Wind is blowing harder than it was supposed to. Don’t care! Last week up here for the season. Moon is super bright. Going to bed now. Most likely heading out in the morning at about 5:00 to see what I can do. Probably fishing all day tomorrow and Sunday.

Post Thanks / Like

Good luck to all fishing this weekend.I have had good luck casting for walleye in the fall on Gull island.This NE wind and full moon certainly won't help but should be fishable this weekend.
    I asked a charter captain that same question about east being worst wind direction to catch fish.He exclusively casted and one of the best I knew.He said could still catch with east wind but north wind was the least productive to catch on Erie.

Post Thanks / Like

I've had good days with strong NE winds and I'm no pro. Charter captains aren't going to cancel a day unless its blowing over 15.
    You've got to find the fish that want to eat. That simple.

the one consistent thing I find, remembering back among the successful NE wind days, I have found success tucking on the lee side of an island, just off the seam from the wind. Sometimes go shallower than you think along this line.

Rickerd