9/17 walleye report 9/17 walleye report 9/17 walleye report 9/17 walleye report
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 9/17 walleye report

We got back home yesterday evening and decided to start getting back in touch with the Walleye. We had been primarily Perching for the last month.

We went North of Vermillion to check a few spots that they will sometimes stage in when they are ready to move back in from the deep. No luck. Surface temps were 78 and it was 71.8 40 ft down. I think we will need more cold nights before they will leave the deeper cooler water.

We had to go further North and East to the 50 ft water to start marking big numbers and catching a few.

The fish were hugging the bottom in 50 ish water. We only had 8 keepers but they were BIG! We had two fish Ohio's. The biggest was a 29 3/4 fatty that weighed 11 pounds 8 ounces by my boat scale. A few weeks from now, that fish would have brought some nice money in the Brawl/Slam. We turned both big fish back so hopefully the karma will come back to us in October. The other keepers were solid mid 20S and healthy/thick. The fish are in great shape for winter.

We also had about a dozen 13-14 inchers and several white perch and white bass. No farm animals.

Everything we caught was within 2 feet of the bottom. We trolled 2.5 mph fish hawk zigzagging. Best producers were copper Michigan Stingers in hammered copper. The one with orange dots was best, but all copper spoons caught.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 9/17 walleye report

Thanks for the report. I had about the same outcome in that same area on Saturday morning. I came back with 3 keepers with shorts mixed in. Ran #7 Flicker minnows 3 ounce snaps 40/100 seemed to be best though nothing was great. Only fished 3 hours and than off to grandson's soccer game which yes, he scored a goal and won!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey I wish you guys luck for the rest of the season on the eyes. I'm done for the year with lots of hunting pending. Will enjoy reading the posts as the year continues!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ohiofinlander View Post
    Thanks for the report. I had about the same outcome in that same area on Saturday morning. I came back with 3 keepers with shorts mixed in. Ran #7 Flicker minnows 3 ounce snaps 40/100 seemed to be best though nothing was great. Only fished 3 hours and than off to grandson's soccer game which yes, he scored a goal and won!

That makes you the real winner. Time with the Grandson is priceless. Goal or no goal.
    We're happy for you.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

DW72
    Good luck with the hunting. I will look forward to your posts next Spring.
    Mike