Why did I buy a boat!?! lol Why did I buy a boat!?! lol Why did I buy a boat!?! lol Why did I buy a boat!?! lol
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Why did I buy a boat!?! lol

Fished for half day 2 weeks ago. Experienced a power outage so had to uncover the motor to the boat lift and manually spin the fly wheel (for about 15 minutes) to lower the boat. Buzzed over to Sandusky boat ramp, bought frozen minnows (no live bait at the time) and then out to west of Kelleys island. Caught 31 perch between 2 of us in about 5 hours so slow bite. Perch were small with many throw-backs.

Power was still out when returning to the dock so we had to manually spin the fly wheel for about 45 minutes this time to lift the boat about 4 feet (going up with the boat weight takes a lot more time and energy than going down!).

Decided to drop a line off the dock once the boat was stowed (back bay in Sandusky). We have had much past success catching perch there in only 4' of water. Caught this nice 12" perch and a handful of others in the late afternoon.

Went out a week later without much success. The boat lift cable broke this next time so went out to Home Depot, purchased new cable, eyelet and U-clamps, and repaired the lift in a few hours. Fished off the dock that night and pulled in enough perch for a few sandwiches.

No complaints here, just have to laugh. LOVE being on the water. LOVE smallmouth fishing off Kelleys in the spring, walleye fishing the reefs, and bobbing around perch fishing with a view of Perry's Monument. But I seriously have to consciously commit to forgetting about the fuel costs, the repair costs/time and the regular maintenance entailed with owning a boat when I'd likely be better served dropping a line in 4' of water, lol! My wife often reminds me the cost of perch per pound at Kroger's vs my personal cost of perch per pound..... but I wouldn't change a thing....

Attachment 8648
    Attached Images Attached Images Why did I buy a boat!?! lol-perch-dock_9-2023-jpg 

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Why did I buy a boat!?! lol

Because we love to fish! If you consider the cost of the boat, insurance, maintenance, repairs, fuel, bait, etc. most people are paying a couple hundred bucks a pound for fish. A bad day fishing is better than most anything else you could do. I’m happy with an average day, but those few days a year that everything clicks makes it all worth while. I had a walleye day a couple months ago that I didn’t even get the first diver out 40 feet, and had a hook up. Limited in about 45 minutes. Or perch day with no by catch, and only 10”+. Those are the days that you bought your boat for! I could fish every day all day, and never get tired of it. Don’t even get me started on ocean fishing! Lol! I know you’re not really complaining. Sorry about your luck with the lift.

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely, Billy Boy. As I said...wouldn't change a thing! Perch fished with my 75 year-old father in an ancient 10' Sears boat about 8 years back before he passed. We limited out on monster perch in no time....down and up! Could not put a price on the smile on my father's face.

Post Thanks / Like

Better than spending a $100 on a hooker for 10 second of shear blitz.

Post Thanks / Like

BOAT = break out another thousand

Post Thanks / Like

Shhh...., not supposed to talk about this stuff. Just go fishin!

Post Thanks / Like

Stoxx,

Your my kind of guy!
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Why did I buy a boat!?! lol-asis-jpg

One of my reasons

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely, Mike. I read your post about fishing every day if you were able. Love it! Another quick story.....took my brother-in-law and his son out trolling for walleye in July between Sandusky coal docks and Cold Water Creek in 10' of water. Crazy to catch walleye that shallow in the heat of the summer, but caught a few. Decided to drift cast for fun and ended up landing numerous catfish, a few of which I had a hard time getting my hands around (monsters). Threw them all back but, man, the feeling of something that big bending your pole over with the drag screaming....what...a....blast!

Post Thanks / Like

The BEST reason MBL Mike! Great picture!

My son only wanted to ski or tube. My daughter though.... During her first time fishing in a boat, we were bobbing up and down in 2' waves off Kelleys. She got a bit green, immediately chummed the waters with her breakfast and, within 2 minutes, had her pole back in the water. She is a rabid fisherman!

Boats are never cheap, they consume a lot of time (winterizing, cleaning, repairing, etc) but they certainly generate priceless experiences and memories. Wouldn't trade it for anything.