Island walleyes Island walleyes Island walleyes Island walleyes
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Island walleyes

Post Thanks / Like

Default Island walleyes

Headed up this weekend from indiana for my dads 60th birthday and was wondering if anyone had fishing information around the islands. I know it’s not the best time but are there any fish around or north of the islands? Probably be staying in port Clinton. Thanks. If not it might turn into a perch trip pretty quickly
    Last edited by metheis; 09-01-2023 at 08:28 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Island walleyes

This time of the yr. I fish shallow structure. Mostly rocky bottoms and reefs around the islands. i'm there just before the sun comes up ( As wally like to eat in the dark ) Starting at 10 ft and lower bouncing off and on the rocks. This time of yr start going lower until around 11 or so, depending on the sun. Last 2 trips it took me until noon to get my 6 fish. I do not troll. worm harness with 1/2 oz. shallow the 3/4 oz. when deeper. Lots of wind helps.

Post Thanks / Like

John and I tried trolling for walleye this morning for around 4hrs and only caught one 13" walleye and nothing else.Did not want to make the run to weather bouy with the east wind today so tried between green and rattlesnake first.Visability was around 18" and there was a fair amount of grass.We then ran to West side of pelee.Visability was around 3ft and no grass and sparse marks My friends who also fish had no info on where to catch any walleye either.Think best to try perch this weekend.

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.
    Post Thanks / Like

It's mostly about water temperature. Lake is cooler than "normal" this year so more walleye should begin venturing back into the Western Basin by mid month. Meanwhile try out in the deeper waters along the International Border line from West Sister to east of Kelleys. Also east and south east of Kelleys / northeast of Cedar Point. Evening fishing up until dark just off reefs and shoals also can produce in late summer.

Post Thanks / Like

Metheis, I second Bob. The only consistent walleye bite we have going right now is actually NE of the weather buoy. If you want to go that far there are plenty of walleye but you have to fish deep.

Troll spoons 55 to 60 down.

The perch bite has slowed a little since the storms, but there are still plenty around the islands.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

You may want to consider fishing Geneva or Ashtabula. The bite is hot there and lots of big fish. They are 15-20 miles out but that's not much different that fishing the line north of Kelley's. Got 3 2 man limits there this past Thursday to Saturday. Many fish 22-27 inches. Bandits with 3 ounce snaps. 175-200 back total.

Post Thanks / Like

To affirm what is being said here, I went out and fished around that dumping ground that is on the west side of the Lorain Sandbar and maybe 4-6 miles ssw of weather buoy. I consider this area to be a year round walleye location but from vermillion to that area it is empty water right now (Sunday 9/3). I am used to seeing at least some marks on Lake Erie the last couple years so it was surprising to find such empty water. A guy at the ramp told me the border NE of Avon is producing a mix of steelhead and walleye.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been posting with a couple good guys regularly on the Central Basin site should anyone have any interest in that area. Safe fishing y'all.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the info we ended up fishing east of Kelly’s and it was really slow. We caught some fish on spoons but nothing like Lake Erie has to offer. Should have listened and went further east but I don’t have any experience fishing 50+ foot water but I’m gonna have to learn

Post Thanks / Like

Or just wait a month or so. The Walleye will be back west and you wont have to fish deep.

They do this every year.
    Mike