Looking for advice on areas to walleye sailing out of Ashtabula Looking for advice on areas to walleye sailing out of Ashtabula Looking for advice on areas to walleye sailing out of Ashtabula Looking for advice on areas to walleye sailing out of Ashtabula
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Looking for advice on areas to walleye sailing out of Ashtabula

Taking a few days of vacation at Labor Day. Will be first time fishing out of Ashtabula and Geneva on the Lake. Any locations or areas of advice to begin trolling for Walleyes? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Looking for advice on areas to walleye sailing out of Ashtabula

Quote Originally Posted by markle View Post
    Taking a few days of vacation at Labor Day. Will be first time fishing out of Ashtabula and Geneva on the Lake. Any locations or areas of advice to begin trolling for Walleyes? Thanks
    in the water, LOL. sorry, but I had to say that. I can't really give you any good advice because I have never fished that late before. but the fish have been in 70' or better but once the water cools they will move closer to shore. I have heard guys talking about going past the 2nd hump at Bula for your best fishing there. but at Geneva just go north to 70'+ and troll north if the wind is blowing from the south. If the waves are from the north I would go out to 73' then troll south. If the fish have already started moving in the 45' to 65' is where I would start fishing.

but hopefully, you will get better advice from guys that know more about what's going on with the walleye. as a last hail mary I would also ask at the marina and don't be shy about asking other guys. a few might give you a line of bull $ht but most fishermen will help you. usually, the marinas know where to start. and take what info you get but also watch what all the other boats are doing.

but we usually fish the deeper water because we get better fish and not nearly as many shorts as in shallower water.

Post Thanks / Like

You might also want to try the same forum but move to the 'Central Lake Erie Fishing Reports'. I have seen some posts there out of Geneva.

All the best!

Post Thanks / Like

I have never fished Ashtabula but have read many posts about Geneva and Ashtabula on the website Ohio game and fish.Water is much deeper there and most guys use dipseys or wire to get deep enough.Look at the post on OGF and could give you a starting depth or how far out you need to go to find the fish.You also may find some info on this website in the central lake Erie section.

Post Thanks / Like

best fishing is between the N 42 05 TO N 42 12. W 81 00 TO W 80 53. be prepared to fish 40' to 55' deep trolling. wire and dipsies are doing the work and the fish have been snapping really good for a month now. just do some searching for Ashtabula and Geneva charters and look at the boards. they're running 20 miles plus one way and still doing double trips every day. the bites been crazy good!!!!!!!!!!!!!! good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Looking for advice on areas to walleye fish, sailing out of Ashtabula

Quote Originally Posted by pfk View Post
    best fishing is between the N 42 05 TO N 42 12. W 81 00 TO W 80 53. be prepared to fish 40' to 55' deep trolling. wire and dipsies are doing the work and the fish have been snapping really good for a month now. just do some searching for Ashtabula and Geneva charters and look at the boards. they're running 20 miles plus one way and still doing double trips every day. the bites been crazy good!!!!!!!!!!!!!! good luck.

The information that you all are giving me is excellent. I greatly appreciate the coordinates information. I will certainly look at the Central basin pages and will be gathering information from the marinas. I will share whatever I come up with. Thanks to all of our fellow fishermen and women. Lines tight and in the water. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Markle. PFK and the others are right on. My last couple trips were out of Lake Shore Park in Ashtabula. We punished fish and many big fish out deep. Several approaches are working to get them. The launch and park is great and the bait shop which is literally at the ramps is very helpful. Look for my latest posts on the Central Basin site if you wish. Good luck! I hope to get back there within the next 3 weeks myself.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much for this information. I am so glad that you recommended where to launch from. I had no idea about Lake Shor Park. I will definitely start off there. Praying that I can hit the lake at the right time weather wise.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by markle View Post
    Thanks so much for this information. I am so glad that you recommended where to launch from. I had no idea about Lake Shor Park. I will definitely start off there. Praying that I can hit the lake at the right time weather wise.
    if your using lake shore park and have a larger motor make sure you trim it up leaving the ramp. it's really silted in now and if you don't trim it you might have a problem. good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

PFK is dead on again. Also note that north winds there make it quite rough getting out