What's a good perch limit weight? What's a good perch limit weight? What's a good perch limit weight? What's a good perch limit weight?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What's a good perch limit weight?

So yesterday we got 90 around the lighthouse. A few nice fish, 10"+ and 1 about 12". But mostly 8"-9" and 1 or 2 gut hooked drinks. Overall I thought the grade was a little ho hum. Was 25# at the cleaner. They thought we did real well. Of course they're not going to say you guys suck. That is 8.3# per limit. I recall a real nice day a few years and 2 limits were 22# or 11#/limit. So what's your average limit weight and what's a good one. Do you weigh your own? I clean 90% of my own and had a scale to weigh them long ago but it died. Need a new one.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What's a good perch limit weight?

In my opinion, I figure 3 perch to the lb... So a 30 limit at ten lbs would be a good/ very good weight!! At four perch to the lb, I consider that a minimal catch as far as size goes. Back in my younger days, it was easier to get that three fish to the pound.....but..as I am now retired and I clean my own fish, I am far more fussy about size. What I keep now needs to be close to 9" or they go back, total number is less important !! Getting back to my 3 per lb catch rate.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you Airshot. We fillet our own as wife doesn't want skin on them, and a wife co-captain gets whatever she wants, lol.

So we only keep the larger ones. The little guys are just to hard to fillet.

However, most of our guests want to keep everything regardless of size.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like

We keep only 8 inch perch or larger. We have had 2- 90 fish limits this year which weighed 27 and 28 lbs. Most of our 60 fish limits come in around 18 lbs. These weights are for mostly 8 and 9 inch perch. Last friday we had a 60 fish limit which weighed 24 lbs but the grade was much better. Those fish were all in the 9.5-11 inch range and very heavy throughout the body. All in all your catch was good.

Baha299

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishing Tiger View Post
    I'm with you Airshot. We fillet our own as wife doesn't want skin on them, and a wife co-captain gets whatever she wants, lol.

So we only keep the larger ones. The little guys are just to hard to fillet.

However, most of our guests want to keep everything regardless of size.
    I hear ya, what the wife wants, she usually gets..when I fish with my neighbor he always kept most everything, but the when we cleaned them, I gave him all the small ones to clean as I am not the one keeping them!! He is slowly changing his mind about keeping little ones!! Lol..

Post Thanks / Like

We always say 3 fish per pound is a good barometer. If you get under 3 per pound you got some HOGS

Post Thanks / Like

I know about the wife comments. My first mate likes the skin on. That's why I have 2 tumblers and butterfly them. I prefer butterfly too. A smaller perch is still a decent bite butterflied. If it's filleted and skinned it's like a potato chip once cooked.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like we did OK. Guess I'm a little too critical