Perch hook size range? Perch hook size range? Perch hook size range? Perch hook size range?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Perch hook size range?

Many perch posts lately so thought I'd ask some general questions regarding hook size.

Understanding that there are many personal approaches to perch fishing (spreaders, crappie rigs, slow jig, 'in the mud', etc), what hook SIZE works best for everyone? I generally have used #6 to #4 hooks but have heard of others fishing with #2. I'd rather use a bit larger hook and, of course a bit larger minnow. But when minnows are small, the #6 seems to hold them best and also catches the throw-backs before they strip my bait.

All feedback would be appreciated! Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Perch hook size range?

Kinda luke a ford, chevy, chrysler debate.....in years gone by I have used a 2, but it seems the perch are getting smaller...lol..so I went smaller to a 4. Some folks use a 6 but for me, they seem to swallow the small hooks easier. I used to buy long shank hooks so they were easier to grab onto but they seem scarce as hens teeth, haven't found them in years. Pros and cons to each and some days one size works better or worse than others. I carry extras of everything, just plain gold hooks, some true turn hooks, some red colored hooks all in different sizes!! Does one work better or worse....not really, but on that one oddball particular day where nothing seems to work, you might try a different hook just like you might try a crappie rig or a spreader!!! One never knows for sure until he tries. Hope this was as confusing for you as it was for me !!....lol....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Perch hook size range?

Thanks for the input, Airshot, lol. Your response was not confusing at all (says a guy with 4 screwed up tackle boxes, spools and spools of various lines, and too many old rods to count). I might move up to the #2 for a bit as I agree that the #6 do get swallowed more. All the best!