Not a Great Start to the Perch Season Not a Great Start to the Perch Season Not a Great Start to the Perch Season Not a Great Start to the Perch Season
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Not a Great Start to the Perch Season

Went out for the first time this year on Monday the 31st, didn’t get out to the pack of boats southwest of Green Island until almost 10:00. Saw some marks on the fish finder and dropped anchor, spent almost four hours and just could not seem to really get going, ended up with only 12 fish for two people, most are nice sized ones, but definitely not the day we were hoping for. Tried moving once and then really stopped catching anything, he frozen shiners from Jeanettes. Hope to get out this weekend and do a little better.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Not a Great Start to the Perch Season

Quote Originally Posted by Thompson_Skipper View Post
    Went out for the first time this year on Monday the 31st, didn’t get out to the pack of boats southwest of Green Island until almost 10:00. Saw some marks on the fish finder and dropped anchor, spent almost four hours and just could not seem to really get going, ended up with only 12 fish for two people, most are nice sized ones, but definitely not the day we were hoping for. Tried moving once and then really stopped catching anything, he frozen shiners from Jeanettes. Hope to get out this weekend and do a little better.
    Go early, go to the G can area, once set give it a some time (30 min.) Look for the green marks on your fish finder, they are eating spiny fleas, if you catch fish, do not leave, give it more time, never leave fish to find fish, I use a spreader and no bling, look for the light bite, if you see it pull some teeth!
    I find the best bite is when you have some wind to move you boat back and forth, if you use golden , run the hook
    in the gut then do a full body hook up.
    Any time your out is a learning time do not be discouraged it can take some time to be a yellow gold master my young Jedi
    My best,
    ~ Water Dog

Post Thanks / Like

That's great advice water dog. I had to move three times today before I found a good school of perch. Once I found them it was fish on.

Post Thanks / Like

Amen to the don't leave fish to find fish Dog. Very seldom do I leave a spot when it slows down. It's unbelievable how many times I have become surrounded by boats only to be left alone when the bite slows for a bit. I just smile and stay put and boom it's on. I personally have not had much success with frozen minnows. And I'm with you out at G can many times as the sun comes up!