Western Fish Cleaning Western Fish Cleaning Western Fish Cleaning Western Fish Cleaning
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rusty Guest

Good recipes guys. Thanks. I guess I have to get off the old school of half corm flake crumbs and half cracker meal. It's all I've ever used. Don't laugh but I've been apprehensive about venturing out with new recipes until I've had ample supply in case I screw up. Well, since getting back into this (moving back to Ohio 2 years ago) that ample supply still hasn't made it's way into my fish cooler.

I'm going to try the hooters mix.

Im hungry all ready!!! That hooters recipe sounds good coount me in for trying that. I have tried several things that floped. I'm still looking for a good one for bakeing. Any help?

Rusty Guest

Question Grilling walleye

Anyone ever done this? If so I'm all ears, cause I've always wanted to try it.

Thanks

Default fish cooking

I seem to slide back to my standby - crush one sleeve of Keebler saltines into fine crumbs. Add one half sleeve of Ritz crackers crushed into flour. Mix the flours together. Dip the fish into beaten egg/milk mixture, let excess drain off, then coat completely in the flour mixture. Fry golden brown in oil, I like to use peanut oil. Seems the only mix I've found over the years that everyone from little children to oldsters will eat and rave about. The fillets also look gorgeous on the plate, and we all know that's part of the deal when you're feeding a group.

I do also like original Shore Lunch on walleyes and bluegills occasionally, but doesn't get the raves from everyone else that my tried-and-true recipe gets.

PS - my fishing buddy grills walleye. I'll have him do some next time we go and I'll share his recipe.
    Last edited by PCperchhunter; 05-14-2009 at 09:30 AM. Reason: adding info

Default smoke and fry

i use water kosher salt till an egg floats, liquid smoke, 2 cups brown sugar, if you like it hot add pepper seeds this is good for fish and jerky, i smoke salmon walleye catfish white bass never tried sheep head. when i cook my fish if i deep fry i use peanut oil and drakes batter mix and stale beer let the beer sit out over night the carbonation makes not stick to the filet as well. to pan fry i like to make my own cracker crumbs in food processor with garlic powder,onion powder and season salt till its a very fine. then dredge in flower coat with a egg wash dredge in cracker crumbs and fry in a cast iron skillet with pure lard now if you got to watch your cholesterol just eat less this is a lot of work but worth it the taste is very good this i use just for family at home if im having a big fish fry we always use drakes you have to eat the drakes right away or it gets a little soggy but the pan fry is great cold or heated up with microwave. serve with fries and coleslaw and homemade tarter sauce take mayo add pickle relish dill or sweet little mustard to give it color and some lemon juice mix up and enjoy

Default grilling eyes

foil packs we call em. take your foil big enough to seal eyes in foil put butter down slice onions lay them down put walleye filets down more onion slices garlic powder, old bay seasoning, lemon pepper seasoning and lay bacon strips on top seal foil around it all you want a very tight seal so it steams it and the foil pack puffs up about 15 minutes on medium grill make sure not to get a hole in foil till right before serving to let juice and bacon drippings out this great with fresh eyes

Default Thanks RS

I make my tartar same way you do. If you have a fresh lemon, put some of the zest in the tartar. Unlike the juice of the lemon, the zest adds a strong, bright lemon flavor to the sauce without the acid or extra liquid.

Walleye grilled that way sounds great. I'll try that this weekend. We put 34 in the freezer last weekend, so there's plenty to try!

Blog Entries

Default swaping recipes

dont tell my wife I am on line swapping recipes