Need help Need help Need help Need help
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need help

What type of weight do you attach to a
    Bandit or any body bait to get a down deeper. Is it a clip on with a round sinker or is it a cylindrical sinker?
    I tried to use one one time and ended up with a big ball a line wrapped up, must have done something wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need help

Need help-screenshot-2023-06-21-105527-png

2 oz snap weights.....get free precision trolling app to give you depths. Typical setup is lure....50ft line....snap weight.....balance of line to board

app will tell you how deep different balance of leads give you

Post Thanks / Like

I use the sub shaped lead in 1,2, and 3 oz. sizes with swivel on one or both ends. Each 1/4 oz of weight will add about a foot to depth. Use a swivel above the sinker also. The 3 oz costs 3 for $4 on Cabelas online. Bait stores probably cheaper.

Rickerd

Post Thanks / Like

I use exactly what Brian showed. Tip for ya....wrap the line around the plastic body twice or it can come off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by m-t pockets View Post
    What type of weight do you attach to a
    Bandit or any body bait to get a down deeper. Is it a clip on with a round sinker or is it a cylindrical sinker?
    I tried to use one one time and ended up with a big ball a line wrapped up, must have done something wrong.
    the weight will usually drop faster than your lure. if you let it out to fast the weight gets ahead of your line. that is when you start having trouble with the line catching on the weight causing tangles. try letting it out slower and this should take care of your tangles.

lots of people using dipsy type divers let then out to fast and the diver gets ahead of the diver then catches non the diver. we always set the clicker on the reel set just loose enough that the line goes off reel.

Post Thanks / Like

I just attach a 2oz sinker with a wire loop to a release I stopped using Attach it 50 or 20 ft in front of crank,depending on total lead.I figure it adds 4ft of depth per ounce.So our 2 oz sinker adds around 8 ft of depth.

Post Thanks / Like

I just use an inline weight with a rubber band.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your help, I will give it a try.

Post Thanks / Like

I am with Brian425... I use the "precision data trolling app" to help calculate lead lengths with desired depth AND speed for a specific lure. It will calculate with or without snap weights. I also use the "Offshore tackle" snaps weights which are easy to use and I have never had one come off....
    Let's say you are using a "Bandit deep diving lure and you want troll at 26' down at 2.0mph. The app tells you to let out a total lead of 84ft. So you then attach a snap weight 50' ahead of the Bandit lure and then let out an additional 34ft of line. Pretty easy and no guess work.

Post Thanks / Like

I also use and highly recommend the Precision Trolling App. Keep in mind also that the leads are based on contacting the water at that length. Said differently, that is the total lead to your offshore tackle board or other inline board. If you are flatlining a bait from a rod holder you would add the extra line from the rod tip to the water. That is my opinion. The length of line or "lead" is in the water.