Whats up Whats up Whats up Whats up

Thread: Whats up

Default Whats up

I've been stuck in Texas with the storms that tore through Dallas and grounded all flights for over a day. It looks like the weekend was tough. Was it weather, water clarity or another factor? Has anyone ventured out into deep water to try to slow dredge up some fatties??? Just looking for the latest and greatest. Fill me in brothers

Jfish Guest

Saturday the water was a little murky. I think that had something to do with the slow fishing.

Sunday the wind laid down and that is always no good. No drift to cover water.

There was also a large number of boats out (especially on Sat.) and I think that gets the fish spooked. Everyone and their brother probably has a depth sounder going on top of all the wake and the engines. Do you think that depth sounders spook walleyes?

JFish- Thanks. I have never heard that about a depth sounder (sonar) spooking fish, but it makes soem sense. Even if it wasn't the sounder, walleye are sensative to all of the boats, drift socks, casting, etc. I would guess you were in shallow water too. It doesn't take much to shut them down. Did you get a good surface temperature?

Jfish Guest

I was around K can (around 13) and Crib (around 20). If I remember right it was around 54 or so. Sunday I think that it moved up when it laid down.

I've been thinking about how sonar works and those are constant pings (low frequency tones). They reflect off of whatever they hit back up.

Those fish have the lateral line that detects all sorts of things. I'm sure they hear the sonar.

Perch and Smallmouth it could possibly attract but I think it spooks the eyes.

Just some thoughts. I've been turning off the sonar and just watching the gps for my drifts.