5-19-23 casting report 5-19-23 casting report 5-19-23 casting report 5-19-23 casting report

Default 5-19-23 casting report

Left meinkes marina at 630am Friday. Ran 8 miles straight out. We were 2 miles west of west sister island. 3 of us ran 4oz bottom bouncers and casted gold and myself had a purple and black #4 Colorado blade on that caught all 4 of my gators. Great drift in morning out of the south/ south east than switched to south west late in day. Slow pick but managed 14 by 2pm. Threw back one shorty. Many boats in the same area including a few headboats that made the trip from port Clinton. Which is a long haul for them. Credit them for taking u to the fish. 1st time out this year and it’s nothing better than feeling that light pull of your line and to set the hook and reel in a nice 23inch eye. Hope to get out a few more times. Goodluck and tight lines.

Default Re: 5-19-23 casting report

Great report, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by jjan1976 View Post
    Left meinkes marina at 630am Friday. Ran 8 miles straight out. We were 2 miles west of west sister island. 3 of us ran 4oz bottom bouncers and casted gold and myself had a purple and black #4 Colorado blade on that caught all 4 of my gators. Great drift in morning out of the south/ south east than switched to south west late in day. Slow pick but managed 14 by 2pm. Threw back one shorty. Many boats in the same area including a few headboats that made the trip from port Clinton. Which is a long haul for them. Credit them for taking u to the fish. 1st time out this year and it’s nothing better than feeling that light pull of your line and to set the hook and reel in a nice 23inch eye. Hope to get out a few more times. Goodluck and tight lines.
    i started drifting back about 1980 and the fishing was awesome. all we did back then was go out on the south or east side of west sister put our weight forward spinners out as far as we thought we needed with light spinning gear then stood the rods against the gunnel and let the boat drift and do all the work.

we never tried casting. but most days all 4 of us had our limit before noon. we did our best with 3/8 gold and silver nuggets. but we did use others and even tried different weights if the bite was slow. 5/8 at times and one early May trip we weren't catching anything. I had a card of 1/4 Earie Dearies I had bought from a buddy I worked with. I put 1 on and caught a fish, put it back out, and caught another fish. i passed them out to everyone and we still had our limit by 1:00 PM . but that wasn't the norm.

Sherman, the good old days are here again! Its just finding enough people who know how to cast and drift is hard to find. I'm lucky if one other person on board has confidence to cast and catch.

Rickerd