Sams Pro Release Sams Pro Release Sams Pro Release Sams Pro Release
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Sams Pro Release

Does anybody use the Sams Pro Release / or Amish Outfitters? If so do you use them with the split ring or do you secure the release wit a bolt and nut. I want to try them but would greatly value opinions from anyone that has used them. Thanks in advance

Default Re: Sams Pro Release

We use both. They are pretty much interchangeable. The main difference is the OR 39 by Offshore uses rubber and Amish Outfitters uses hard plastic. We use braid and wrap our line and have not had slippage with either. Amish Outfitters are much cheaper and work just as well. Oh and also one uses a flat adjustment screw and the other a philips. It would be easier to have all of one or the other but with the number we already have it is to costly to replace the OR 39 but we are gradually only adding AO as we replace them. We keep two of each small screw driver in the cockpit to make the needed adjustments.

I would not recommend using a bolt and nut!

We used to use a split ring, barrel swivel, split ring combo that allows the release some distance and independence from the board movements. The release can rotate without tangling the line when it is rough.

We are shifting to a large double snap swivel combo. It is one piece but looks like a snap, swivel, snap combo. It has all the advantage of the snap ring swivel set up but avoids some of the issues with line occasionally working into a ring if it is not tight enough. And is much easier to remove and replace.

We are running the double snap swivels on the Port boards and the older snap ring swivel setup on starboard boards. We just wanted to test them against each other before changing everything. But we will now change everything over to the new system as there has not been any issues.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Fishing Tiger View Post
    Oh and also one uses a flat adjustment screw and the other a philips. It would be easier to have all of one or the other but with the number we already have it is to costly to replace the OR 39 but we are gradually only adding AO as we replace them. We keep two of each small screw driver in the cockpit to make the needed adjustments.
    Just thinking out loud here...

Can't you just replace the set of screws you don't like, with the other? If you don't like the flat, and just want the Philips, can't you just get the same size screws with the Philips head and replace the flats? Or, is there a reason that I don't know of, that this couldn't be done?
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Great suggestion!!!!!
    I just never thought of it.

Finding those small screws could possibly be challenging. Any ideas where to look?
    Mike

ace hardware stores in our area have a large selection of small stuff in stainless. but i know "McMASTER CARR" would have them. you could order on line or visit a store. there is one in the streetsboro area i get by sometimes.

Thanks, I guess I will not use the nut and bolt and stick with the split ring. I was curious because I was watching youtub and noticed a few people using them.

Curious what issues were found with attaching via machine screw / lock nut. That's how all of our walleye boards are setup, and they seem to work fine. I would say sometimes they trip great and other times they don't. If a fish is on, I only give it one try to trip the board. Also, just my observation the rubber on the original Sams Pro makes it easier to wrap braid line -vs- the Orange Zams Pro. I can't comment on Amish Outfitters release as we haven't used them.
    I do like the double snap idea, and will need to try that on a couple.
    Bob

Hey Bob, I am setting mine up with snap lock on the back also. I had to chase a board last time I was out. I do not fish as much as a lot of people on this site but I appreciate all the info I can get

Makes sense, FishFinder and I've heard some switching to the clip with metal pin for their back release. We're using church tackle walleye boards which come with a pin and slot in the back, so risk of losing a board is pretty minimal. One thing I've learned is start out on the loose side when adjusting the release. They don't require much tension unless fishing in heavier waves. Definitely makes changing out lures easier when a person can trip the outside board, etc. Good luck!
    Bob

Tiger,

Help me with the "Double Snap Swivel" set up. I have a bunch of these Sam's Pro releases. I tried running them for salmon fishing, but with all the various types of tackle we run, we were frustrated with the constant adjusting from one set up to another.

So you are using? or about to TRY using, the double snap swivel, to attach the Sam's Pro to the board? I would like to think when running all of the same crankbaits, the Sam's Pro release would excel once you had the tension screw adjusted properly.

Also, have you tried to directly attach the release the Sam's Pro to the offshore board with a small nut and bolt?

Thank you!
    Clay