Need guidance Need guidance Need guidance Need guidance
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need guidance

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need guidance

I NEED GUIDANCE!!

I bought a boat late last year, 1995 Starcraft 191V Islander, really a nice boat. I had a Sea Nymph 195 GLS, I really liked that boat, but my previous didn't want me to have it, nother story, nother time.

It's has been 10+ years since I have fished Lake Erie, but I made it there a few times last year and it was wonderful.

Now I am making this boat mine.

It had a big planer board mast on the bow, two "Bert" shorty mast mounted directly to both the gunwales, mid way and a complex pulley system. The boards are two board, plastic, collapsible 28" long. I have never used big boards, not something I may use, but it could be handy to have it in my arsenal, but I want to streamline the system. I removed the bow mast, I know the higher, the better, but not for me. I am wanting to mount the Berts shorty mast on a track system, mid gunwales. Bolted through 3/4" Osage " wood" and 5/32" Aluminum.

I have researched this and ask questions, but apparently I didn't
    ask the right ones, the right way.

1). Will the Berts shorty work in any of the track systems, Traxtech, Bert's, Cannon etc?

2. Are the tracks tough enough to handle the boards?

May use one to two lines per side, more than likely just one, just me and grandson. Probably no more than 50 feet out, per side.

Thanks for reading the long commentary, but I wanted to be as detailed as possible.

Thanks
    Johnny D

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Need guidance

it would help if we knew where you fish? I would have kept the bow mast and got what I believe it's called a pully retriever from traxstech and used them on my tow line to bring the line to me to attach releases. if you're fishing deep water during the summer on the central basin the best thing to do is pick up a couple of Okuma convector 30 reels then fill close to halfway with mono and attach about 200' of 30# braid and put 300' of 15# trolling wire. let out the wire then maybe 30' of braid and attach to release and put on mainline. good baits to use are deep diving husky jerk 12,s or deep diving walleye bandits, or even use bay rat deep diver cranks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sherman51 View Post
    it would help if we knew where you fish? I would have kept the bow mast and got what I believe it's called a pully retriever from traxstech and used them on my tow line to bring the line to me to attach releases. if you're fishing deep water during the summer on the central basin the best thing to do is pick up a couple of Okuma convector 30 reels then fill close to halfway with mono and attach about 200' of 30# braid and put 300' of 15# trolling wire. let out the wire then maybe 30' of braid and attach to release and put on mainline. good baits to use are deep diving husky jerk 12,s or deep diving walleye bandits, or even use bay rat deep diver cranks.
    I usually fish Western Basin, in and around Kelleys, follow the fish. Usually I drift, cast and run downriggers.

Thanks for the detailed information, especially the reals and how to load them. I have never used wire in in freshwater, just when fishing out of Cape Cod, a few times, years ago. But, after looking at all the options for wire, that's a possibility.

The owner before me had quite the system set up for the big boards. I'm just scaling it back, but you never know. If the fishing gets tough, you need to do, what you need to do, to catch fish.

Still need to figure out about the tracks and durability.

Thanks
    John

Post Thanks / Like

Johny,
    You won't need downriggers in western basin. I use 8oz bottom bouncer when trolling by flatlining off the back holders. I use one or two smaller boards (Church boards) to move baits away from the boat. If I need to run 3 lines each side, I usually have a slide bite diver in the back and 2 boards out to the side. Even 3 boards each side is fine. This system works for me for 15 years now.

In Central basin, you might use the downriggers but, I still use the bottom bouncers with regular success.

Rickerd

Post Thanks / Like

If you are just learning to troll,I would recommend that you start off with the smaller inline boards, instead of the big boards you already have.Much easier to learn on the inline and better for 3 and less people.We use the yellow offshore brand of inline boards.Would also recommend buying their additional tattle flag assembly that allows the flag to move down when a fish bites.Would also recommend getting 4 line counter rods spooled with 12 or 15# mono.If you don't already have them.With that set-up you can troll early with crankbaits and switch over to spoons or harnesses after water warms over 52 degrees.A good sinker when trolling with either harness or spoons is the offshore #2 tadpoles.You also can get some dipsey divers too.You can use spoons or harnesses off the dipseys too.If have the funds,you can get an additional 2 more line counter reels and spool them with 30# hi- vis yellow braid to use with the dipseys.If not,you can get away with using those mono rods too.Would not recommend a beginner troller to try using wire in western lake Erie though.Wire works well in the deeper eastern Erie, but not needed in shallower water.Go on a charter that has a smaller boat like yourself. It's a good way to learn what gear to get and how to use it.Continue reading this site to continue to learn new things to add to your arsenal too.Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I just checked out the "slide divers". I like those!!! Need to get a couple.

My thoughts on the downriggers, it gives me several different options for lure/baits presentation .

As for the big planer boards and the Berts Shorty mast, just utilizing what I have. Trying to figure out how to best make them a part of the boat, in a streamline fashion.

Thanks for all the great information. It's always good to learn new ways to fish Your experience and willingness to share appreciated.

Thanks
    Johnny D

Post Thanks / Like

Wow!!! That's some good information.
    I checked out the #2 tadpole sinkers, nice looking sinker. They even offer that style for different trolling speeds!!

I did pick up a couple, Okuma line counter rod reel combos, last year and will probably grab a couple more. Glad you mentioned mono, thats my choice for fishing.

I tried the small inline planer boards several years ago, I don't remember the brand. Maybe it was just me, but I never got into the process. Lack of knowledge on my part, maybe. However, with all the different styles now, a revisit is possible.

I like to use spin reels, to cast and troll and I like to hold them. Something about the feel of the bite, and the thrill of the fight. just gets my blood pumping . I even go lite on my line so I need to run lite drag, so I don't lose a fish. Call me crazy. However, if the bite is slow, I'm looking for options.

I guess the big planer board thing is a quest, not a burning desire. A weapon for the battle to find and catch fish. And, if my arms give out from casting and landing all those monster fish. Grandson takes over, Pa drives the boat.

Sure is different from when I was a kid, using my green Johnson Model 60 reel, with solid fiberglass pole, bluegill fishing with my granny, from a wooden flat bottom boat. God, I miss those days.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I appreciate you for that.

Johnny D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny D View Post
    I just checked out the "slide divers". I like those!!! Need to get a couple.

My thoughts on the downriggers, it gives me several different options for lure/baits presentation .

As for the big planer boards and the Berts Shorty mast, just utilizing what I have. Trying to figure out how to best make them a part of the boat, in a streamline fashion.

Thanks for all the great information. It's always good to learn new ways to fish Your experience and willingness to share appreciated.

Thanks
    Johnny D
    just to add a little more info that may help. if you want to use 2 or 3 of the lite bite slide on one side I recommend going out with someone or a charter that uses divers. they all work the same except the lite bite has the lite bite arm that has its own adjustment which I set all the way loose so it releases even on white perch. i don't use the slide part of the diver but the lite bite is priceless. I just tie it to the front like a dipsy then tie a small O-ring to a 7' 15# seaguar premier fluro leader then lace it through the little block in front of the light bite arm then place it in the arm and toe on your lure.

I run 3 lite bite divers on each side with a downrigger off each side in the back then turned at a 45 degree angle. and I used downriggers on the western basin for many years. they did catch a few fish but just flatlining hot n tots and wiggle warts caught most of our fish. but they do put 2 extra baits in the water.

we trolled with the same spinning gear used for drift fishing. we let out quite a bit of line then we used 2 homemade 16' outriggers using a 16' surf rod, 1 on each side then a 9' m/l rod straight out each side then 1 7' rod off each back corner at about a 45 degree down angle

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sherman51 View Post
    just to add a little more info that may help. if you want to use 2 or 3 of the lite bite slide on one side I recommend going out with someone or a charter that uses divers. they all work the same except the lite bite has the lite bite arm that has its own adjustment which I set all the way loose so it releases even on white perch. i don't use the slide part of the diver but the lite bite is priceless. I just tie it to the front like a dipsy then tie a small O-ring to a 7' 15# seaguar premier fluro leader then lace it through the little block in front of the light bite arm then place it in the arm and toe on your lure.

I run 3 lite bite divers on each side with a downrigger off each side in the back then turned at a 45 degree angle. and I used downriggers on the western basin for many years. they did catch a few fish but just flatlining hot n tots and wiggle warts caught most of our fish. but they do put 2 extra baits in the water.

we trolled with the same spinning gear used for drift fishing. we let out quite a bit of line then we used 2 homemade 16' outriggers using a 16' surf rod, 1 on each side then a 9' m/l rod straight out each side then 1 7' rod off each back corner at about a 45 degree down angle
    That's a clever idea with the O ring.

I'm ordering a couple lite bite sliders today.

Thanks for the tips

Post Thanks / Like

I wrote an article a while back about things to consider when setting up your boat for big water. I have ran big boards, down-riggers, in-line planers, BB, you name it. Other than my big boards, I still use all of them depending on the situation and location.

Here is the link to the article:Article: Fishing Tips- Setting your boat up for trolling big water
    – Slimshady Customs
    https://slimshadycustoms.com/ Slimshady Customs - Custom Painted Crankbaits & Blanks. (Bandit Style Deep-Divers and other various crankbaits)