Need guidance Need guidance Need guidance Need guidance
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need guidance

Default Re: Need guidance

This one may be helpful as well. It covers the pros and cons of in-line boards vs big boards.

Article: Fishing Tips- Planer Boards (Big Boards vs In-line planers)
    – Slimshady Customs
    https://slimshadycustoms.com/ Slimshady Customs - Custom Painted Crankbaits & Blanks. (Bandit Style Deep-Divers and other various crankbaits)

If you getting slide divers I would suggest setting them up like this. Put a piece of 50lb mono on the end just like in the picture (the bead was switched to protect the knot. then just attached the leader to the back and use a large snap for the front. I wasn't a fan of trying to use it as a slide but it is awesome like this. It will detect the lightest bite which is great when small fish and debris are around.
    Need guidance-slidediver-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by slimshady View Post
    This one may be helpful as well. It covers the pros and cons of in-line boards vs big boards.

Article: Fishing Tips- Planer Boards (Big Boards vs In-line planers)
    – Slimshady Customs
    Just read them both, good read.

I often feel as if I have, too much "stuff" on the boat, but after reading your article, I'm good to go. I do need a good pair of side cuts, for sure. A surdy one gallon plastic jug, with the bottom removed, is very handy, in many way,s !

The planer board article was very informative and helps answering questions, someone may have.

Thanks for sharing.

Just like the ole saying,"more than one way to skin a cat".

I noticed "U-Charter" seems to have the corner on the market. Are there others out there?

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdude64 View Post
    If you getting slide divers I would suggest setting them up like this. Put a piece of 50lb mono on the end just like in the picture (the bead was switched to protect the knot. then just attached the leader to the back and use a large snap for the front. I wasn't a fan of trying to use it as a slide but it is awesome like this. It will detect the lightest bite which is great when small fish and debris are around.
    Need guidance-slidediver-jpg
    this is actually how I run mine but I use 65# braid tied to an O-RING but I think the bead is a great idea. we also use snubbers for using braid as our main line. I attach the snubber with swivels at both ends. attach the snubber to the line from the diver then attach my 7' seaguar premier 15# fluro leader than just attach the lure. I use a swivel on both ends of my leader to prevent twists in the leader.

just good advice for running divers. I fill my reels part way with 16# ande mono line leaving enough room to put 100 yards of 30# braid on top. this saves a lot of money on buying braid line to fill the reel. plus you never want to start braid to a reel unless it's made for braid or has a post to tie it to because the braid line is slick and will slip on the spool, which I found out the hard way. another important thing is not to let the diver too fast as the leader will get around the diver and screw everything up. I use the clicker on my reel set just loose enough that the line goes out to slow things down. the clicker usually is enough to prevent tangles on the leader. for divers braid, and using the clicker is a must.

I tried braid but it is too flimsy and would wrap often around the leader which just wastes time unwrapping it. The other thing with braid is it is hard to close that loop at the end tight enough to get it to stay in so the stiffness of the mono and thicker works better for me. I also agree a clicker release is great.

I found running the numbers close to each other, especially in deeper water made it easier for me to set the outside dipsy. For instance, I used to run 0-3-5 settings and the 5 would often get tangled when letting it out. I let it out from the opposite corner using the clicker. I started running them 0-1-2 and the resetting of the 2 dispy goes back better and does not tangle an inside one. I know most likely current is the culprit but the lower numbers just hold higher while running out on the clicker. I am one to try different things and ways to get the same result I just think it helps me identify a problem and solve it when out of the water.

Quote Originally Posted by jeepdude64 View Post
    I tried braid but it is too flimsy and would wrap often around the leader which just wastes time unwrapping it. The other thing with braid is it is hard to close that loop at the end tight enough to get it to stay in so the stiffness of the mono and thicker works better for me. I also agree a clicker release is great.

I found running the numbers close to each other, especially in deeper water made it easier for me to set the outside dipsy. For instance, I used to run 0-3-5 settings and the 5 would often get tangled when letting it out. I let it out from the opposite corner using the clicker. I started running them 0-1-2 and the resetting of the 2 dispy goes back better and does not tangle an inside one. I know most likely current is the culprit but the lower numbers just hold higher while running out on the clicker. I am one to try different things and ways to get the same result I just think it helps me identify a problem and solve it when out of the water.
    my problem with not using braid was getting them to trip when bringing them in. The mono has so much stretch I could jerk half of the day before the diver would trip. but with a non-stretch braid it usually only took one good jerk. it's usually a little rough on the central basin of Erie so the front release had to be set a little tight so we wouldn't get a bunch of false releases when the boat surged.

as far as settings on the diver I always use 1.5, 3.0, 4.5, or 5.0 and we rarely have lines tangle on us. but we make sure we get them started straight, let them out starting on the opposite side, and let them out slowly. we let the outside diver out then the middle diver goes out 20' less and then the back diver is 20' less than our middle diver. when the middle diver is out 130' and were letting the outside diver out we let it out 140' then take the rod over and place it in the holder and stop letting line out at 150'. this helps prevent lines from tangling with other lines.