Thursday 3/30 report Thursday 3/30 report Thursday 3/30 report Thursday 3/30 report

Default Thursday 3/30 report

It was 27 degrees when we stopped at the Tiger Den to pick up Fishing Tiger. It was still 27 when we got to Huron. Why Huron? Because I wanted payback after my last trip there, lol.

We went North East out of the channel and quickly started marking fish just as before. The boat picked up a coat of ice from the run out. Reminded me of the show deadliest catch. We went through the fish into the North wind so we could fish back with the waves. We picked up a couple 17 inchers on Blue Chrome Bandits but it was slow just like last time. But at least these fish came up on the bandits 80 back at 1.2 mph.

As the sun got higher we shifted more into the dirtier water which was 4 degrees warmer and started hitting on Taco Salad 80 to 100 back naked at 1.2 to 1.4 mph. You had to be turning. They hit on inside and outside turns but not when running strait. There was a 90 minute flurry then things slowed way down again. My guess is these fish are so cold/slow they only need to eat once a day, but what do I know. When I bled one out it lived for almost an hour, very slow metabolism, the heart couldn't pump out the blood.

We called it quits early with 12 fish total. We released the 6 biggest all 26 inches or more and kept the 6 smallest. 9 fish and the biggest came on Taco Salad in the dirtier water. 1.2 to 1.4 doing turns 80 to 100 back.
    Mike

Default Re: Thursday 3/30 report

Thanks for the report. It was like that the last couple times out down there for us too. I think there is still a ton of bait down there for them as well. The ones we caught were all stuffed with shad. It's amazing they ate at all. The ones we have been catching in MI or CAN waters have had empty bellies and they were inhaling the baits in the same water temps.
    https://slimshadycustoms.com/ Slimshady Customs - Custom Painted Crankbaits & Blanks. (Bandit Style Deep-Divers and other various crankbaits)

Yes these were stuffed with shad also.
    Mike

Thanks for the report Fishing Tiger. It is interesting because I launched out of Huron as well Thursday morning even though I would have much rather been fishing in the islands area. I live in Indiana, so my thought was that I will start in Huron which is farther away for me and then move back to the islands if the fishing isn't so good over there. I got out at daybreak and fished for about 3 hours and only caught 1 walleye. I was fishing about due north of Huron and the water was very stained. I found out later from the MODIS imagery that there was better water further east. But, not knowing that at the time, I decided to head back west, thinking I couldn't do much worse than I was doing at Huron. I got back to Mazurik about noon and the water color didn't look very good from what I could see just looking from the launch, so I left and launched out of Fenwick Marina.
    I began by heading towards West Sister, still having no clue where I could find decent water, and then headed towards the reefs. I set up north of the reef area in about 32 fow, but the water was still very stained. Finally after 2 pm I did get a good image, but was disappointed to see that everything from Kelleys west was very stained. I stuck it out for a couple hours and managed to get one more eater size before I threw in the towel and headed home.
    Anyways, I'm glad you guys did better than I did! Still learning this whole thing as far as where the water is more likely to be better when I don't have anything to go by other than this forum. I guess I should have put more stock in the Castle report, but honestly, I didn't know where that was.
    Hope to be out again in a couple weeks once the water temps come up a bit and maybe I won't have east winds to deal with either.
    Good luck everyone and be safe!

I hope you have better luck next trip. The muddy water coming out of Huron can stain the lake straight out (North). If you go North East it is usually better. Remember the lake is like a bowl in that area so you really can't go far strait East.

In a couple weeks I would start by trying the water between Kellys and the Bass Islands to start, if it is not to muddy. All the fish off Huron will be moving West to spawn but if it is really muddy on the reefs there is sometimes clearer water near Kellys.

There are allot of knowledgeable members on here that know allot more than me and hopefully they can help you.
    Mike