Jigging? Jigging? Jigging? Jigging?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jigging?

Default Jigging?

I know a lot has to do with water temp but when does the jig bite action start around the reefs? I was thinking about trying it on Sunday but hate to drive 3 hours and drag a boat for nothing more than being impatient lol

Default Re: Jigging?

Give Tim at Fisherman's Wharf a call tomorrow. Their first headboat trip is scheduled for Friday. All jigging. I think the water's too cold.
    Last edited by Davf; 03-30-2023 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Fix

I went out today. Put in at Fenwick. Started at big pickerel reef, then went cone reef, then to little pickerel reef. No luck. Then went in a ways and fished closer, didn't look at what reef I was on. But didn't catch anything. Jigged from 9-noon. I didn't see any nets coming out from anyone around either. Then we back out between little pickerel and cone and set up for some trolling. Trolled til 2. Nothing. Did mark fish today but nothing biting. Water is really muddy even out at little pickerel. Couldn't even see my drift socks when In the water. Water temp was at 37.5. A Little cold. We are supposed to get rain on Friday and Saturday up her. Just that I would give you what we had today

We fished all reefs. Nothing. Went to beach area and had the best marks. Several bites. Could not land a fish. Very muddy water. On a side note a charter capt said best marks have been on beach. On Thursdays the best marks on beach but it is muddy. Smack them on the nose and pray for a hook up.

Thanks everybody, that sure saves me some money and time. I have a spot rented at Turtle Point in two weeks so I will just be patient and maybe the water will clear up or at least warm up. I really appreciate the replies

Thank you for a thorough post.
    What is not working is as good or better than what is.
    Thanks again.
    Mike

Two of us went out of Fenwick Thursday 3/30. The bite was slow, but we managed to get our limit by 2:15. We had our best luck on Locust and Crib reefs in 10-12 fow with hair jigs w/stingers and blade baits. Purple and Robin Egg Blue Hair jigs and Purple/White blade bait. Water temps were 38-40 degrees and the water was quite muddy. All males 16-21"

Thanks fishfever, I will be out on the 13th -15th so I hope to bring a few home

This question is for fishfever, still learning where the reefs are. Is locust and crib reefs west of Fenwick towards the intake

First time post for me as I just joined. Locust and most other reefs are east of fenwick. A good place to look would be NOAA chart 14830 which will show the western basin well. The chart is zoomable so will be a good tool.

I was out last Thursday for the first time this year and spent 2 hours jigging with my son. We picked up 3 keepers. Fished locust reef. The water was pretty cloudy but fresh fish is still fresh fish. We could see down about 6 inches in the water.