Livescope thoughts Livescope thoughts Livescope thoughts Livescope thoughts

Default Livescope thoughts

What is everyone thinking as far as using one of the new live imaging locators? Do you use it on Erie and does it help? Is there a favorite brand. If so why?

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Default Re: Livescope thoughts

Yes, the newest versions of sonar technology (fish/depth finders) can be very helpful on Lake Erie. The abilities these unit have to show what’s in the water column and what the bottom and structure look like is getting amazing. It won’t be long, maybe as short as s few years, when affordable sonar units will be able to tell you nearly everything, in unbelievable detail.

What these units do is the same things people have always wanted to know. They just do it much more effectively and with a lot more detail than previous units.

1. Find out the depth.
    2. Find the fish / identify the fish (species and size).
    3. Find out where they are in the water column.
    4. Find out what they are doing (find actively feeding fish).
    5. Find structure and get details on it, if that is important.

The latest units do all this in incredible detail. IF you learn how to properly use them. The "live imaging” systems show what’s in the water around you, in front of you, or below you, in real time, like watching a video. You can actually see individual fish moving around as well as groups. These features work best on calm water where the transducers can stay pretty level. They do work on Erie, you just have to compensate for any wave action – understand there is an impact when you have waves, such as on a good drift wind day. Once you learn how to use these systems correctly, and that takes a good deal of time, they can be a great tool for increasing not only your catch numbers but also catch rates. It won’t take as long to “zero in” on the fish and start catching them.

As far as brands and models, I don't have nearly enough experience with the various units to offer any info. There are plenty of videos and other fishing forums out there to learn about the various units. I'm sure a few on this site will help with that. I can tell you to make sure you understand the "mechanics" of how each unit and transducer work. That is not always explained clearly.
    Last edited by West Basin; 03-26-2023 at 12:13 PM.

West Basin thank you for your great reply. I have watched a lot of YouTube videos and they make it look easy but not much as far as using them on Lake Erie. In a number of the pictures I have seen posted here it appears that a number of people are using them so I was hoping for more from other users. I am leaning towards the Garmin ice fishing bundle so I can use it all year long. Not having a chance to use or see one in action yet makes me slow to flip the switch on an expensive instrument like that.

Tracker you weren't getting many responses so I will offer what little I can.

We used to use ours for smallmouth fishing. They are great for rockpiles. We are trollers for walleye most of the time now so we never use it. You pretty much have to be near stationary to get the best benefits. If you are a jig fisherman it could be useful.
    What we do use allot that I never hear anyone on here talk about is our side imaging. When the eyes are boat shy and pushing out to the side we can see that and adjust our boards further out to compensate.
    Mike